RCW: Inside Swimming & Diving 3.22
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
Seven of the 12 individual races held at in Robinson Natatorium in the meet against Iowa State were won by freshmen Haley Downey, Elizabeth Amato-Hanner, Jenny Nusbaum and Carly Straight. The dominance exhibited by the freshmen contributed to a resounding 180-114 victory over the Cyclones.
Notes QUICK HITS
- One of Jenny Nusbaum’s two individual victories was in the 200-yard freestyle (1:50.97), an event she has won seven out of the eight times she has competed in it during her debut season. Nusbaum won all three events she participated in, including the 500 freestyle (4:59.53) and 400 freestyle relay (3:30.25).
- Haley Bishop also went undefeated over the weekend, placing first in the 200 medley (1:44.44) relay, 200 butterfly (2:05.48), 100 butterfly (56.44) and 400 medley relay (3:30.25).
- Carly Straight won all of her individual events, touching the wall first in the 50 and 100 freestyles in 24.11 and 53.13 seconds, respectively.
- Downey replicated her fellow freshman’s feat, finishing ahead of the field in the 100 and 200 breaststroke. She logged times in her respective events of 1:05.13 and 2:21.12.
- Pia Pavlic also won all of her individual events in the senior’s last competition at Robinson. She recorded times of 56.39 seconds and 2:02.05 in the 100 and 200 backstroke.