RCW: Inside Swimming & Diving 3.25
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
Kansas swimming and diving’s 683.5 points scored at the Big 12 Championship was its highest-ever point total in Big 12 history, eclipsing last year’s record-setting 650.5 points.
Notes QUICK HITS
- Freshman Haley Downey had an electric performance at her first Big 12 Championship, recording a lifetime-best swim in the preliminary races of all of her individual events, and then swimming even faster in the final races. Downey’s personal-best times in the 200-yard individual medley, 100-yard breaststroke and 200-yard breaststroke helped her notch a team-leading 45 points from individual events.
- Fellow freshman Jenny Nusbaum totaled the second-most points by a Jayhawk from individual events with 41 in the 500-yard freestyle, 200-yard freestyle and 1,650-yard freestyle.
- Diver Nadia Khechfe recorded top-eight finishes in the both the one and three-meter springboard dives, the first time in the junior’s career that she placed in the top-eight of two events.
- Peri Charapich scored a lifetime-best 207.15 in the platform dive to finish third. She broke her personal record of 196.5, set just a few hours prior in the preliminary round.
- Libby Walker tallied 40 points in her three events, which included swimming the 1,650-yard freestyle, sandwiched by the preliminary and final 200-yard individual medley races. Her other points came from her seventh-place finish in the 400-yard individual medley.
- The versatile Pia Pavlic led the scoring for upperclassmen with 40 points, which came from top-seven finishes in the 200-yard individual medley, 100-yard butterfly and 200-yard backstroke.
- Senior Sammie Schurig closed out her Kansas career by recording lifetime bests in the last swims of her three individual events. Saving her fastest swims for her last races netted her 30 points from individual events.