RCW: Inside Swimming & Diving 3.37
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
For the second-consecutive year, Kansas swimming & diving set a new program record for points scored at the Big 12 Championship, scoring 683.5 points to top 2016’s record-setting 650.5 points. The team finished in second place behind Texas, to mark the third time in four years with a runner-up finish.
Notes QUICK HITS
- Sophomores Libby Walker and Haley Bishop tied for first place in the first-ever CSCAA Collegiate Open Water Nationals, which was a 5K event hosted by Kansas at Lone Star Lake just outside of Lawrence.
- The Jayhawks set eight pool records when visiting William Jewell’s Mabee Center. Senior Sammie Schurig’s 400-meter freestyle was arguably the most impressive performance of the meet, as she broke a 35-year-old pool record that was set at the 1981 NAIA Nationals, with a time of 4:22.33.
- Freshman Jenny Nusbaum made a name for herself in the 200-yard freestyle during the season, winning her signature event seven-of-nine times competing in it. Her fastest time in the event (1:47.26) came at the Big 12 Championship where she finished fourth to earn All-Big 12 Second Team accolades, and marked the fourth-fastest time in program history.
- Bishop helped KU’s 800-yard freestyle relay team finish second at the Big 12 Championship with the fifth-fastest 200-yard freestyle time in Kansas history, leading off the team with a 1:48.23 split.
- Freshman Haley Downey recorded two top-five times in program history at the Big 12 Championship, recording the third-fastest time in school history in the 100-yard breaststroke (1:02.09) and the fourth-fastest time in the 200 breast (2:15.32). Both times were good for third place, which earned her All-Big 12 First Team honors.
- Freshman Elizabeth Amato-Hanner also recorded two top-five KU times, in both the 100 and 200-yard backstroke events, finishing in 54.98 and 1:58.46, respectively.
- Freshman Carly Straight swam a 50.33 100-yard freestyle at the conference meet, which marked the fifth-fastest time in school history. The time was good for fifth place at the conference meet which earned her All-Big 12 Second Team honors.
- Senior Pia Pavlic capped her collegiate career with a 2:01.38 200-yard individual medley time at the Big 12 Championship finishing fourth to earn an All-Big 12 Second Team nod, which was also good for fifth on the Kansas all-time list. Pavlic also earned second-team honors with a fifth-place finish in the 100-yard butterfly.
- Walker recorded the ninth top-five school time at the Big 12 Championship with a 4:18.46 400-yard individual medley time. She earned two second-team all-conference nods with a fourth-place finish in the 1,650-yard freestyle and a sixth-place finish in the 200-yard butterfly.
- Junior Madison Straight earned an All-Big 12 First Team honor with a third-place finish in the 400-yard individual medley at the conference meet.
- Freshman diver Peri Charapich finished third in the platform dive to also earn All-Big 12 First Team accolades. Senior Amanda Maser just missed first-team honors in the same event with a fourth-place finish to land on the All-Big 12 Second Team.
- Schurig finished fifth in the 200-yard freestyle at the Big 12 Championship to earn a spot on the all-conference second team.
- Senior Yulduz Kuchkarova earned two All-Big 12 Second Team distinctions with a fourth-place finish in the 100-yard backstroke and a sixth-place finish in the 200 back.
- The team picked up its 29th-straight CSCAA Scholar All-America Team honor, earning the distinction for the fall semester. While not yet officially announced, the team will likely pick up its 30th-straight award for the spring semester sometime this month.
- Fifteen Jayhawks were named to the Academic All-Big 12 First Team, and two more earned second-team honors.