RCW: Inside Tennis 3.20
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
The number of fans who attended Kansas’ home opener against Saint Louis at the Jayhawk Tennis Center on January 20.
UPCOMING HOME MATCHES
Arkansas (Feb. 11)
TCU (March 10)
Notes QUICK HITS
- Facing each other for the first time since 2008, the Jayhawks notched a 6-1 win over the Billikens.
- Kansas opened the match by sweeping doubles. Nina Khmelnitckaia and Tess Bernard-Feigenbaum competed at No. 1, Janet Koch and Anastasia Rychagova paired up at No. 2, and at No. 3 were freshmen Maria Toran Ribes and Tatiana Nikolaeva.
- Rychagova played at No. 1 singles and blanked her opponent, 6-0, 6-0. Following suit, Koch won her match 6-1, 6-2; Khmelnitckaia topped her opponent, 6-2, 6-2 and Bernard-Feigenbaum battled for a 6-3, 6-2 win.
- Toran Ribes dropped her first set, but fought back to win a three-set tie breaker, 3-6, 6-0, 10-3. Nikolaeva also went into a three-set tie breaker, but was not able to overcome her opponent, dropping her match 6-4, 1-6, 10-4.
- Next the Jayhawks will travel to Nashville, Tennessee, for a four-team tournament with Clemson, Virginia Tech and Vanderbilt. Kansas will face Clemson Friday, January 27 at 10 a.m., to kickoff the weekend’s action.