RCW: Inside Volleyball 3.13
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
Kansas enters the week on an 11-match winning streak. The 2016 season becomes the first in Kansas volleyball history with two winning streaks of 10 matches or longer. The Jayhawks started the season with a 10-0 record.
UPCOMING HOME MATCHES
Tickets Iowa State (Nov. 19)
- Fourth-ranked Kansas (23-2, 12-1 Big 12) begins the second-to-last week of the regular season on the road at West Virginia on Wednesday before monumental Senior Day on Saturday against Iowa State inside Horejsi Family Athletics Center.
- SENIOR DAY: Saturday will mark the final regular-season home match for a tremendous trio of seniors – setter Maggie Anderson, middle blocker Tayler Soucie and libero Cassie Wait. Anderson, Soucie and Wait notched their 100th career victory together after Kansas defeated TCU on Saturday, Nov. 12.
- TITLE CHASE: Kansas is in sole possession of first place in the Big 12 Conference standings. With three regular-season matches remaining, Kansas needs two wins to clinch at least a share of its first-ever conference title.
- NO PLACE LIKE HOME: Entering Saturday’s final regular-season home match against Iowa State, Kansas boasts a 15-match winning streak inside Horejsi Family Athletics Center, including an 11-0 record at home this season. The Jayhawks are 32-1 in the last 33 matches at home. Kansas is seeking its first-ever undefeated season at home in program history.
- SOUCIE’S SOLID DEFENSE: One match after becoming the third Jayhawk to reach 500 career blocks, senior middle blocker Tayler Soucie set a season-high 11 blocks in four sets against TCU on Saturday, Nov. 12. Soucie now has 511 career blocks — three away from passing Amanda Reves (1996-99; 514) for second on KU’s career blocks list. The Osawatomie, Kansas native has six or more blocks in the last three matches.
- WINNING: For the first time in program history, Kansas has a pair of 10-match winning streaks in the same season. The Jayhawks started the season 10-0, and have won the last 11 matches. Kansas boasts the second-best winning percentage in the nation since the start of the 2015 season; its 53-5 record (.914) since last season is second only to 2015 national champion Nebraska at 56-5 (.918).
- TOP-10: Kansas remained at No. 4 for the third-straight week in the AVCA Coaches Poll on Monday. The Jayhawks have been ranked in the top-25 for a program-record 28-consecutive weeks (since Sept. 7, 2015), including 23-consecutive weeks in the top-10 (since Oct. 5, 2015). KU’s No. 4 ranking ties a program high in the AVCA Coaches Poll for the seventh time.
- FIVE SET SUCCESS: Kansas is 5-0 in five-set matches this season, including back-to-back five-set wins over No. 2 Texas (Oct. 29) and on the road at Kansas State (Nov. 2).
- BECHARD RECORDS: Kansas head coach Ray Bechard is 348-231 (.601) in his 19th season at KU. Since 2012, the Jayhawks are 126-29 (.813) under Bechard.