RCW: Inside Volleyball 3.2
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
Kansas won its sixth consecutive nonconference tournament after sweeping the Bulldog Invitational field in Starkville, Mississippi. The streak that dates back to 2014 includes an 18-match regular-season winning streak against non-conference opponents.
- The fifth-ranked Jayhawks opened the 2016 season with a 3-0 record to capture the Bulldog Invitational title with wins over Mississippi State, Eastern Washington and Lamar. All three victories came in three sets.
- MVP: Junior outside hitter Madison Rigdon was named the Bulldog Invitational MVP after opening the event with 14 kills in a straight-set win over host Mississippi State on Friday and finishing the weekend with seven aces, 1.67 digs per set and 2.78 kills per set on a .333 hitting percentage.
- NATIONAL LEADERS: Kansas was named the NCAA Division I leader in kills per set (15.10) and assists per set (14.17) “posthumously” after a reporting error was corrected last Friday. It marks the first time Kansas has led the nation in any major statistical category. Before the correction, Kansas finished second to Boise State in both categories last season.
- WAIT’S DEFENSE: Senior libero Cassie Wait was named the Bulldog Invitational Outstanding Libero after averaging 4.00 digs per set and providing direction to a Kansas defense that held opponents to a .014 hitting percentage this weekend.
- SOUCIE MOVING UP: Tayler Soucie has 413 career blocks, five away from Josi Lima (2002-05; 418) for third on KU’s career blocks list.
- TOURNEY TITLES: Kansas clinched the Bulldog Invitational title with Saturday’s win over Lamar. It is KU’s sixth consecutive nonconference tournament title. The streak dates back to the 2014 Jayhawk Classic and includes 2015’s Arkansas Invitational, Kansas Invitational, Pistol Pete’s Showdown and Jayhawk Classic.
- NONCONFERENCE WINNING STREAK: Kansas has won 18 consecutive nonconference regular-season matches dating back to Sept. 19, 2014. Of those 18-straight wins, 13 have come in straight-set fashion.
- BECHARD RECORDS: Kansas head coach Ray Bechard improves to 328-229 (.589) in his 19th season at KU. Since 2012, the Jayhawks are 106-27 (.797) under Bechard.
- TOP-10: KU’s record as a top-10 team improves to 19-3. The Jayhawks have been ranked in the top-10 of the AVCA Coaches Poll since Oct. 5, 2015. KU’s only losses as a top-10 team came to national champion Nebraska and national finalist Texas.