RCW: Inside Volleyball 3.5
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
KU’s regular-season nonconference winning streak came to an end at 25 matches against No. 14 Purdue on Friday, Sept. 16.
- No. 8 Kansas (11-1) concluded nonconference play with an 11-1 record after competing in the Stacey Clark Classic, hosted by Purdue, last weekend. The Jayhawks open Big 12 Conference play against Oklahoma on Wednesday (6 p.m., ESPNU).
- TOP-10: Kansas dropped four spots to No. 8 in the AVCA Coaches Poll on Monday. The Jayhawks have been ranked in the top-25 for a program-record 19-consecutive times dating back to last season, including 15-consecutive times in the top-10. The Jayhawks debuted the season with a No. 5 preseason ranking in the AVCA Coaches Poll.
- NONCONFERENCE WRAPUP: Kansas concluded its nonconference portion of the regular season on Saturday with an 11-1 record. In the last two seasons, the Jayhawks are 23-1 during regular-season nonconference play. Under head coach Ray Bechard, KU is 180-30 (.857) during regular-season nonconference play.
- HAVILI, RIGDON ALL-TOURNEY: Junior All-American setter Ainise Havili and junior outside hitter Madison Rigdon represented Kansas on the inaugural Stacey Clark Classic All-Tournament Team. Havili averaged 9.4 assists per set while occasionally attacking for 10 kills on a .473 hitting percentage in three matches. With 45 assists and 10 digs against Xavier on Friday, Havili notched her third double-double of the season. Rigdon averaged 2.9 kills per set while continuing to pace the Big 12 in aces with nine aces in three matches over the weekend.
- ACES WILD: Kansas leads the Big 12 in aces per set (1.73), led by junior outside hitter Madison Rigdon who ranks fourth in the nation in aces per set (0.67). Rigdon’s 20 total aces so far this season are 11 more than any other Big 12 player.
- ELITE DEFENSE: The Jayhawks rank sixth in the nation in opponent hitting percentage (.118), while leading the Big 12 in kills per set allowed (10.45), assists per set allowed (9.73) and service aces allowed (0.66). Kansas has held 11 of its 12 opponents to a sub-.200 hitting percentage, including six opponents below .100.
- BECHARD RECORDS: Kansas head coach Ray Bechard improves to 336-230 (.594) in his 19th season at KU. Since 2012, the Jayhawks are 114-28 (.803) under Bechard.