RCW: Inside Women's Golf 3.25
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
In the first tournament of the spring, the Kansas women’s golf team collectively shot a one-over par, 865, its lowest score so far of the 2016-17 season.
Notes QUICK HITS
- The Jayhawks opened the spring season strong, finishing tied for second place at the Westbrook Spring Invitational in Peoria, Arizona.
- It is the team’s first top-five finish since the spring of 2016.
- As a team, the Jayhawks recorded 39 birdies over the course of three rounds.
- Sophomore Ariadna Fonseca Diaz finished in fifth place; her second career top-five finish, and first since the fall of 2015.
- Diaz finished the three-round tournament at four-under par, with nine birdies and no bogeys in the final two rounds.
- The team spent most of the first two rounds at the top of the leaderboard.
- Chomchana Phuchanbanchob, a sophomore transfer from Cal State-Northridge, ended day one in a tie for second place, ultimately finishing 10th in her first tournament as a Jayhawk.
- Diaz, Phuchanbanchob and Victoria Chandra all recorded rounds in the 60s (Diaz had two).
- Phuchanbanchob (68) and Chandra (67) both recorded career-low scores in the first round.