RCW: Sport Spotlight 4.36 (Cross Country)
Back-to-back! Lokedi repeats as the #Big12XC Women’s Champion! #KUxc pic.twitter.com/SabwESaunS
— Kansas Cross Country (@KansasXC) October 28, 2017
2017-18 Season Highlights
- The Kansas men’s and women’s cross country teams earned a clean sweep of UMKC and Oral Roberts in the season-opening Bob Timmons Dual Classic at Rim Rock Farm in Lawrence.
- At the Bob Timmons Classic, KU senior Ben Burchstead was the top collegiate finisher in the men’s race, while Jayhawk junior Alaina Schroeder finished second in the women’s race.
- Both Kansas teams were the runners-up at the second meet of the year – the Rim Rock Classic in Lawrence. Schroeder finished third in the women’s race and junior Michael Melgares was KU’s top finisher in the men’s race, placing second.
- Junior Sharon Lokedi placed eighth in her season debut at the Pre-National Invitational in Louisville, Kentucky, helping the Kansas women to a 29th-place team finish, earning her Big 12 Female Runner of the Week honors.
- For the second time in as many years, Lokedi won the Big 12 Championship women’s cross country individual title. With the win, she became just the fourth female in conference history to win multiple championships.
- Lokedi’s win and an 11th-place finish from Schroeder earned the pair All-Big 12 honors and helped the women’s team to a sixth-place finish at the Big 12 Championship.
- Sophomore Bryce Richards was the men’s top finisher at the Big 12 Championship, placing 40th and helping the Jayhawks to a seventh-place team finish.
- Lokedi placed second at the NCAA Division I Midwest Regional at the ISU Cross Country Course in Ames, Iowa. The runner-up effort qualified Lokedi for her third NCAA Cross Country Championships appearance and helped the women’s team finish 10th.
- Schroeder earned All-Region honors at the Midwest Regional by placing 18th.
- Lokedi ran to a 44th-place finish at the 2017 NCAA Cross Country Championships in Louisville.
- For her performance throughout the year, Lokedi was named the Big 12 Women’s Runner of the Year for the second-straight year.
- A total of 13 Kansas runners earned Academic All-Big 12 honors, including redshirt freshman George Letner, senior Hannah Dimmick, redshirt freshman Lisa Lauschke and Schroeder, who each earned perfect 4.0 GPAs.
- Schroeder, as well as both the men’s and women’s cross country teams, earned USTFCCCA All-Academic honors.