RCW: Sport Spotlight 4.36 (Men's Basketball)
— Kansas Basketball (@KUHoops) April 24, 2018
A post shared by Kansas Basketball (@kuhoops) on Mar 29, 2018 at 3:50pm PDT
2017-18 Season Highlights
- Kansas went 31-8, posting 30 wins for the third-straight year and 15th time in school history. The 15 30-win seasons ties Kentucky for the most 30-win seasons in NCAA history. Nine of those 15 have come during the Bill Self era.
- Kansas set an NCAA record by winning its 14th-consecutive conference regular-season title going 13-5 in Big 12 play. It was KU’s 18th Big 12 and NCAA-leading 61st conference regular-season title. KU has won 10 or more league games for 24-consecutive years, a streak which started in 1995.
- Kansas won its 11th Big 12 and 15th overall conference postseason tournament title, including its eighth in the Self era. Redshirt-sophomore G Malik Newman was named the event’s Most Outstanding Player and was joined on the all-tournament team by senior G Devonte’ Graham.
- Kansas added to its own NCAA Tournament record by appearing in its 29th-consecutive tourney, a streak which started in 1990.
- Entering the NCAA Tournament a No. 1 seed for the third-straight year and 14th time since seeding began in 1979, Kansas advanced to its 15th Final Four with three during the Self era (2008, 2012 and 2018).
- Adding to its own NCAA record by making its 29th-consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance, KU registered a 21-4 record against teams in the 2018 NCAA Tournament field.
- Self, who was named Big 12 Coach of the Year for the eighth time, ninth time overall for his conference career, moved into second on the Kansas all-time wins list, currently at 447, in his 15 seasons at KU. He passed Roy Williams (418) early in the season and now trails only Phog Allen (590).
- Graham was Kansas’ 30th Consensus All-America First-Team selection. Additionally, he was KU’s 12th all-time conference player of the year and the ninth in the Big 12 era.
- Graham was the only player in NCAA Division I to average 17.0-plus points, 7.0-plus assists, 1.6-plus steals and fewer than 3.0 turnovers per game.
- Graham was a unanimous All-Big 12 First-Team selection and was joined on the all-conference team by senior G Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk (second team), sophomore C Udoka Azubuike (third team) and Lagerald Vick (honorable mention). Newman was ninth KU player in school history to be name its league’s newcomer of the year and he was also named to the Big 12 All-Newcomer Team.
- Kansas broke the single-season 3-point field goals made record with 391 as well as the 3-pointers attempted mark with 974. The 391 3-point field goals tied the Jayhawks for 10th most in NCAA DI history.
- KU set the school single-game record by making 19 3-pointers in the win against Texas Southern on Nov. 21, 2017, in Allen Fieldhouse. KU’s 12 3-pointers in the first half of the contest were also a school record.
- Graham broke the Kansas single-season assists record with 282.
- Graham also set the school’s single-season minutes played record with 1,474.
- Mykhailiuk broke the KU single-season 3-point field goals made record with 115. Graham ended tied for third with 110 3-pointers made.
- Azubuike set the Big 12 Conference and Kansas single-season field goal percentage record at 77.0 percent (with a minimum of five field goals made per game). His 77.0 percentage ranks as the second-best ever in NCAA history, trailing only the 80.0 percent set by Devontae Cacok of UNC Wilmington in 2016-17.