RCW: Sport Spotlight 4.36 (Men's Golf)
— Kansas Men’s Golf (@KUMensGolf) May 16, 2018
A post shared by Kansas Men’s Golf (@kumensgolf) on May 16, 2018 at 1:38pm PDT
2017-18 Season Highlights
- The team earned its third-straight at-large berth to the NCAA Regional and the 20th in program history.
- The Jayhawks entered the Regional as the No. 8 seed and claimed their first Regional title in school history after scoring a 20-under 844 to win the event by one stroke.
- With the Regional win, Kansas advanced to the NCAA Men’s Golf National Championship for the 12th time in program history and for the first time since 2000.
- It was the first NCAA Championship appearance under head coach Jamie Bermel for the Jayhawks.
- The squad finished the season ranked No. 38 in the Golfstat team rankings.
- Seniors Daniel Hudson and Daniel Sutton, along with junior Charlie Hillier and Jake Scarrow and sophomore Andy Spencer, were each named to the 2018 Academic All-Big 12 Team.
- In addition to the NCAA Pacific Regional, the Jayhawks also won the Desert Mountain Intercollegiate giving the team 10 tournament titles in Bermel’s six seasons on the job.
- Kansas placed in the top-5 in 10 of the team’s 14 events and now has 41 top-5 finishes under Bermel.
- Spencer paced the Jayhawks with a team-best 71.98 stroke average, which ranks No. 4 in the Kansas record books. He posted four top-5 efforts, five in the top-10 and 10 top-20 efforts. Spencer’s best finish came with a second-place performance at the season-opening Badger Invitational.
- Spencer set the program standard for birdies in a season. The sophomore carded 156 birdies on the year, topping Chase Hanna’s 151 during the 2016-17 campaign.
- The Jayhawks relied on Spencer’s scores in 39 of his 42 rounds, as the 39 counting rounds rank No. 3 in program history.
- Hillier ranked second on the team in scoring average at 72.50. Of his 42 rounds played, Hillier shot par or better in 23 of them, which ranks No. 3 all-time in Kansas history.
- Including Spencer and Hillier, the Jayhawks had four players post top-10 efforts on the season. Sutton finished third at the Irish Intercollegiate, while Hudson placed tied for third at The Jackrabbit. Scarrow and Harry Hillier each logged 11th-place finishes giving Kansas six players over the course of the season who finished in the top-20 while in the lineup.
- The team’s overall scoring average of 287.71 ranks second all-time at Kansas.