Seniors show out on senior day
LAWRENCE, Kan. – It was senior day for the Kansas swimming and diving team on Saturday as part of the second day of the Kansas Double Dual meet against South Dakota and Missouri State. The team sent a strong message as they won both matchups in convincing fashion with a 261-87 win over South Dakota and a 244-101 victory over Missouri State inside Robinson Natatorium.
KU celebrated their seven seniors (Carly Straight, Elizabeth Amato-Hanner, Haley Downey, Jenny Nusbaum, Katy Schlies, Libby Walker and Peri Charapich) prior to the start of Saturday’s contest as part of their senior day traditions. And then, the seniors set the tempo for the team moving forward. Straight (100-yard freestyle), Amato-Hanner (200-yard backstroke) and Nusbaum (500-yard freestyle) would all claim first-place finishes in individual events.
In diving, it was freshman Jiayu Chen who claimed her second top finish on the weekend. In the three-meter diving, she totaled a final score of 287.20 which was just under four points ahead of fellow KU freshman Franny Cable (283.75).
The nine first-place finishes for KU, combined with their eight from Friday, gave the Jayhawks 17 top finishes out of 19 total events held on the weekend.
Senior Captain Katy Schlies Thoughts
Key Races from Weekend
- Friday Results:
- Junior Crissie Blomquist finished in second place in the 1,000-yard freestyle with a time of 10:20.16.
- Senior Jenny Nusbaum claimed first place in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:49.90.
- Senior Elizabeth Amato-Hanner won the 100-yard backstroke with a time of 55.72.
- Sophomore Kate Steward claimed gold in the 100-yard breaststroke (1:03.52) and the 200-yard individual medley (2:05.34).
- Freshman Amelie Lessing finished in first place in the 200-yard butterfly with a time of 2:03.53.
- Junior Manon Manning won silver in the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 24.11 while sophomore Dewi Blose claimed bronze in the event with a time of 24.12.
- Saturday Results:
- Lessing claimed first place in the 400-yard individual medley with a time of 4:28.48.
- Straight won the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 52.65.
- Amato-Hanner earned gold in the 200-yard backstroke with a time of 2:00.16.
- Sophomore Greta Olsen claimed first in the 100-yard butterfly with a time of 56.77.
- Nusbaum won the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 5:00.02.
- Steward claimed her third first-place finish of the weekend in the 200-yard breaststroke with a time of 2:16.71.
The Jayhawks next meet will be held on October 25 for KU’s annual Alumni Meet. The start time is set for 4 p.m. inside Robinson Natatorium.