Weather modifies KU’s series at Baylor
Kansas softball continues a string of playing nine-straight games against teams currently ranked in the top-25 with a trip to Waco, Texas, to face No. 21 Baylor starting with a doubleheader on Friday at 4 p.m., from Getterman Stadium.
Heavy rain and thunderstorms forecasted in the Waco area forced Saturday’s game to be moved to a Friday doubleheader. Game two of Friday’s twin bill will be televised on FOX Sports Southwest Plus. Sunday’s series finale remains as scheduled with a noon first pitch.
The Jayhawk Radio Network will cover all three games of the series on KUAthletics.com/radio with Nick Springer calling the action.
Kansas (25-18, 0-9 Big 12) is looking for its first conference victory of the season and first win over a ranked opponent since defeating then-No. 14 Baylor at Rock Chalk Park last season. The Bears (26-13, 4-6) are led by senior outfielder Jessica Scroggins, who ranks third in the nation with a .485 batting average.
|Games 44-46: at #21 Baylor|
|Friday, April 20, Sunday, April 22|
|Waco, Texas (Getterman Stadium)|
|Jayhawk Radio Network|
|FSSW Plus (Friday only)|
- This weekend’s series are the final road games of the season for the Jayhawks before completing the regular season with seven-straight home games.
- Baylor holds a 33-26 series advantage over Kansas entering this weekend’s three-game set in Waco.
- Through 43 games this season, the Jayhawks have 68 doubles. KU’s 1.58 doubles per game is a program high and ranks 17th in the nation.
- Kansas is 7-2 in one-run games, 4-2 in extra-inning contests, and feature three walk-off victories this season.
- Last week, senior infielder Jessie Roane hit .571 (4-for-7) in the series aginst against OU. Roane leads KU with a .369 batting average and 13 doubles.
- Senior outfielder Erin McGinley is hitting .308 during Big 12 play with four doubles.
- Senior outfielder Annie Mehringer leads KU with a .357 batting average during Big 12 play.
- Senior catcher Harli Ridling ranks third in career home runs (35) and third in career RBIs (141) at KU. This season, she is hitting .302 with 16 extra-base hits — seven home runs and nine doubles.
- Freshman utility Tarin Travieso leads KU with 30 RBIs.
- Junior pitcher Andie Formby leads the Big 12 in game started (21), innings pitched (123.2) and ranks third in total strikeouts (94). Formby has three complete-game shutouts this season.
- Kansas ranks 22nd in the nation in fielding percentage (.973).
- KU has a pair of winning streaks lasting at least five games this season.
- KU’s 12-inning loss to Colorado State on March 30 was the most innings KU has played in 25 years.
- Junior utility Brynn Minor threw a Big 12 season high of 14 strikeouts against Colorado State on March 30.
- KU assistant coach Abbie Butler returned from maternity leave last week during the Oklahoma series. Butler and husband, Tye, gave birth to their first-born daughter, Saydie, earlier this season.
- The 2018 Kansas softball campaign marks the 50th season overall and the ninth under head coach Megan Smith. Kansas has a 271-197 record during Smith’s tenure.
KUAthletics.com: The official online source for Kansas Athletics, Williams Education Fund contributions, tickets, merchandise, multimedia, photos and much, much more.