Five Jayhawks advance to Summer Circuit quarterfinals
LAWRENCE, Kan. – The Kansas tennis program served as the host of the three-day Intercollegiate Tennis Association’s (ITA) Summer Circuit at the Jayhawk Tennis Center at Rock Chalk Park, and the five members of the 2017-18 Jayhawk roster participating in the event felt right at home as each advanced to the quarterfinal round of the singles completion Saturday.
Nina Khmelnitckaia, Janet Koch, Tatiana Nikolaeva, Anastasia Rychagova and senior transfer Despoina Vogasari each posted a 2-0 singles mark on the first day of action to give KU a combined 10-0 singles record.
With the Jayhawks claiming five of the eight quarterfinal spots in the singles bracket, here is how each advanced through the field:
- Rychagova only dropped one set in her two matches Saturday with a 6-0, 6-0 victory over Lily Schoeck and a 6-1, 6-0 win against Alexa Tiefel.
- Khmelnitckaia notched two singles wins with a 6-0, 6-0 win over Lauren O’Brien and topped Autumn Crossnoe, 6-3, 6-1.
- Vogasari posted a pair of singles victories to advance to Sunday’s singles quarterfinals. After receiving a first round bye, she downed Valentina Caro, 6-1, 6-0 and added a 6-0, 6-3 win over Michaela Henne.
- Nikolaeva will face her collegiate teammate, Vogasari, in quarterfinal play. The KU sophomore-to-be notched a 6-0, 7-6 (7-2) win over Brooke Thompson and followed with a win over Marina Cozac (6-1, 7-5).
- Koch also opened with a bye and collected wins over Ryan Thompson (6-1, 6-2) and Josephine Cao (6-1, 6-2).
Action continues Sunday at the Jayhawk Tennis Center with both singles and doubles action.
KUAthletics.com: The official online source for Kansas Athletics, Williams Education Fund contributions, tickets, merchandise, multimedia, photos and much, much more.