Jayhawks secure 3 titles on day 3 of 92nd Kansas Relays
LAWRENCE, Kan. – On day three of the 92nd Kansas Relays presented by RCB Bank, Kansas track & field won three titles and had 10 athletes and three relays advance to the finals in 10 different events.
KU’s first victory of the day came in the 4×800-meter relay where Courtney Griffiths, Avryl Johnson, Wumi Omare and Jana Shawver notched the win with a combined time of 9:20.39 for KU’s third Kansas Relays title in the event in the last five years.
Freshman Rylee Anderson added to KU’s gold medal count on the weekend, securing her fifth high jump victory of her freshman campaign and the first of outdoor season with a mark of 1.75 meters (5-8.75 ft.).
The Kansas vaulters also found success on the third day of the Kansas Relays with senior Alexis Romero and junior Callie Hicks setting PRs to finish one and two in the event.
Romero finished first for KU’s third victory of the day with a mark of 4.23 meters (13-10.5 ft.), which advanced her to the No. 6 performer in KU history. Hicks notched a PR of 3.95 meters (12-11.5 ft.) to earn the second-place finish.
- Freshman Patrick Larrison posted a ninth-place finish in the discus with a personal-best mark of 55.41 meters (181-9 ft.).
- Senior Shaylyn Stallbaumer added a second-place finish for the Jayhawks with a mark of 41.02 meters (134-7 ft.) in the javelin.
- The KU women’s 4×400 Chloe Akin-Otiko, Jedah Caldwell, Nicole Montgomery and Marleena Eubanks finished with a combined time of 3:41.15 for the top spot in the prelims to advance to Saturday’s final.
- The Jayhawk men’s 4×400-meter relay team of Marcus Davis, Ethan Fogle, Cody Johnson and Darius Releford placed third in the prelims to qualify for the final.
- KU men’s 4×100-meter relay team of Cordell Tinch, Ethan Fogle, Omasanuwa Omatseye and Chris Gleghorn moved on to Saturday’s final with a time of 41.73 seconds, placing sixth overall.
- Senior Gabbi Dabney advanced to Saturday’s 100-meter hurdles finals with the fourth-fastest prelim time, finishing in 14.33 seconds.
- Senior Caraline Slattery is slated to compete in both the 100 and 400-meter hurdles finals after finishing with the sixth fastest 100-meter hurdle time (14.45) and the third fastest 400-meter hurdle time (1:02.47) in the prelims.
- Freshman Cordell Tinch will run in the 110-meter hurdle finals tomorrow as well as competing in both the high jump and the long jump on Saturday.
- Junior Cody Johnson and sophomore Darius Releford are set to compete in both the 110-meter hurdles and the 400-meter hurdles finals, after finishing first and third, respectively.
- Sophomore Morganne Mukes will run both the 100 and 200-meter dash finals on Saturday, after setting a new personal-best time in the 200-meter prelims, clocking in at 24.08 seconds.
- Junior Jedah Caldwell (23.65) and sophomore Honour Finley (24.24) join Mukes in the 200-meter dash finals, posting the second and seventh fastest times, respectively.
- Advancing to the finals in the 400-meter dash are senior Marleena Eubanks (54.93) and redshirt-sophomore Mariah Kuykendoll (55.05), who finished with the third and fourth best times in the prelims.
The 92nd Kansas Relays conclude on Saturday with collegiate field events beginning at 11 a.m. and collegiate running events set for a 10:10 a.m. start. Fans can follow all of the day four action on FloTrack or via live results at pttiming.com.
KUAthletics.com: The official online source for Kansas Athletics, Williams Education Fund contributions, tickets, merchandise, multimedia, photos and much, much more.