Jayhawks fall 3-2 to Wildcats in Dillons Sunflower Showdown
LAWRENCE, Kan. – After falling to rival Kansas State (14-11, 4-10 Big 12) 3-0 earlier this season, Kansas (15-9, 8-5 Big 12) came out to a quick 2-0 start, but fell, 3-2, to the Wildcats at Horejsi Family Athletics Center Wednesday, Nov. 14. K-State earned the season sweep of the Dillons Sunflower Showdown.
With Kansas leading by as many as seven at multiple points throughout the opening set, K-State battled back to narrow the KU margin to one with a 6-0 run that forced a Jayhawk timeout. The Jayhawks and Wildcats continued back and forth until Rachel Langs kill secured the first set victory, 25-22.
KU’s second set followed in similar fashion with the Jayhawks holding as large as an eight-point advantage after starting the set on an 11-2 run. However, the Wildcats didn’t go away and we able to fight their way back to within one, 24-23, before an Ashley Smith kill gave Kansas the win to head into the third set with a 2-0 advantage.
Set three began with the instate rivals trading off runs. The Jayhawks matched K-State’s 3-0 run to start the set, evening the score at 3-3, but the Wildcats put up five unanswered points to force a Kansas timeout. Despite their best efforts, KU couldn’t stop the K-State offense as the Wildcats went on to win the third set, 25-12.
The fourth set continued in favor of the Wildcats with K-State scoring the first points for the fourth-straight set. K-State led for the entire set, but Kansas was able to rally to within three before the Wildcats evened the match at two-sets each.
With 18 errors in the final three sets, Kansas couldn’t compete with the Wildcats .298 hitting percentage and fell 3-2 to K-State.
Senior Gabby Simpson tallied her 70th-career ace in the opening set, while notching double-figure assists for the 16th time this season with 46 total assists on the night. Simpson earned her first triple-double as a Jayhawk, finishing with 10 kills, 46 assists and 14 digs. Freshman Rachel Langs also had a career-night with 14 kills in the Jayhawks 3-2 loss.
The Jayhawks head to TCU for the first match up a two-match road trip. Kansas faces off with the Horned Frogs on Saturday, Nov. 17 at 1 p.m. Fans can watch the game on Fox Sports Southwest/Fox Sports Go app or listen on the Jayhawk Radio Network.
First Set: KU 25, KSU 22
Second Set: KU 25, KSU 23
Third Set: KU 12, KSU 25
Fourth Set: KU 20, KSU 25
Fifth Set: KU 15, KSU 15
Final: KU 2, KSU 3
- Senior Gabby Simpson tallied two aces against K-State and has 71 for her career.
- Gabby Simpson tallied double figure assists in her 16th match of the season, recording 46 assists on the night.
- The Jayhawks continued their 11-game streak with double-digits blocks, recording 11 against Kansas State.
- Freshman Rachel Langs recorded a career high 14 kills, exceeding her previous career high of 10.
- The Jayhawks hold a 5-3 record in five-set matches this season.
- Gabby Simpson notched her first triple-double as a Jayhawk with 10 kills, 46 assists and 14 digs.
- Junior Allie Nelson recorded a career high nine assists.
- Gabby Simpson tallied a season-high 46 assists.