Jayhawks fall to TCU in Texas
FORT WORTH, Texas – Despite a back-and-forth affair in the first set against TCU (15-11, 7-8 Big 12), Kansas volleyball (15-10, 8-6 Big 12) was not able to find its footing and dropped the match, 3-0, at the TCU Recreation Center Saturday, Nov. 17.
Despite the energy that KU displayed in the first set, which tallied 12 ties between the two Big 12 schools, the Jayhawks were edged by TCU, 20-25.
In the second and third sets, the Horned Frogs used their potent attack to out hit KU 16-8 and 14-10 kills, respectively.
The Jayhawks found their rhythm late in the third set, fighting back to get the TCU lead to five, but it was too late. The Horned Frogs again stretched their lead over KU before earning the third set victory, 25-16.
The combination of Jada Burse and Ashley Smith led the Jayhawk attack with Burse tallying a team-high nine kills and Smith finishing with eight. Smith earned a team-high .353 attack percentage (8-2-17).
- Senior Gabby Simpson led Kansas with 22 assists, and was second on the team with seven digs. Simpson topped the 1,700 assist mark for her career and has a total of 1,708 assists.
- Allie Nelson led KU with eight digs and has a total of 902 digs for her career.
- Mmachi Nwoke tallied six blocks against the TCU attack.
- Out of 25 matches played, Kansas has logged double-digit blocks in all but seven, tallying 10 total team blocks against TCU.
- KU and TCU split the season series with the Jayhawks winning the first match, 3-1, in Lawrence, Kan., on Sept. 22.
- The loss snapped a seven-match Kansas win streak against the Horned Frogs.
- The Jayhawks hold a 5-3 mark against schools from the state of Texas.
First Set: KU 20, TCU 25
Second Set: KU 19, TCU 25
Third Set: KU 16, TCU 25
Final Score: KU 0, TCU 3
Kansas completes their two-match road swing at Iowa State Wednesday, Nov. 21 at 6:30 p.m. in Hilton Coliseum.
KUAthletics.com: The official online source for Kansas Athletics, Williams Education Fund contributions, tickets, merchandise, multimedia, photos and much, much more.