Kansas drops match to Iowa State
AMES, Iowa – Despite a productive first set by Ashley Smith, Kansas volleyball (15-11, 8-7 Big 12) was not able to win the set or the match, falling to Iowa State (15-13, 8-7 Big 12), 0-3, in Hilton Coliseum.
Smith logged 10 kills in the first set and made the Iowa State defense look uncomfortable when the junior outside hitter would strike. Her efforts pushed the first set to extras, but Iowa State captured the set, 25-27.
In the second set, Iowa State and Kansas had four lead changes and six ties, but the efficient ISU attack proved too strong for the Jayhawks. ISU and KU finished with 13 kills each, but the Cyclones tallied only four errors, winning the second set, 25-18.
With their backs against the wall, Kansas needed to find momentum to capture a set victory over the Cyclones. ISU pushed its lead in the third set to 23-18, before Kansas rallied and narrowed the lead to 23-22. Iowa State closed out the set and the match, winning the final two points.
Smith finished with a team-high 14 kills, while Mmachi Nwoke led KU with a .615 attack percentage (9-1-13).
Senior Gabby Simpson logged her seventh double-double of the season, finishing with 37 assists and 10 digs. Lacey Angello and Allie Nelson each logged 10 digs.
- After falling behind 11-13 to Iowa State, the Jayhawks rallied with a 5-0 run in the first set.
- Smith logged her 400th career kill after her 10th kill in the first set.
- Smith has reached double-figures kills in 12 of the last 16 matches, and in 18 of the 26 contests this season.
- Simpson led Kansas in assists for the ninth-consecutive match and logged her seventh double-double of the season.
- Iowa State completed the season sweep of the Jayhawks with the win in Ames, previously beating the Jayhawks in Lawrence on Oct. 20.
First Set: KU 25, ISU 27
Second Set: KU 18, ISU 25
Third Set: KU 22, ISU 25
Final Score: KU 0, ISU 3
Kansas returns to Horejsi Family Athletics Center for Senior Day vs. Oklahoma Saturday, Nov. 24 at 1 p.m. The match will be the final regular-season match played under the current construction of Horejsi. Following the conclusion of the 2018 season, the arena will be upgraded with additional capacity and other upgrades to the home of Kansas volleyball.
KUAthletics.com: The official online source for Kansas Athletics, Williams Education Fund contributions, tickets, merchandise, multimedia, photos and much, much more.