No. 22 Kansas Sweeps Wyoming, 3-0
LARAMIE, Wyo. – No.22 Kansas Volleyball silenced a capacity crowd at the UniWyo Sports Complex on Friday night, sweeping host Wyoming, 3-0 (25-17, 25-21, 25-12), in the second match of Pistol Pete’s Showdown.
Kansas (8-0) is now tied for the third-best start in program history as winners of the first eight matches of the season. The 1990, 2002, and 2004 KU squads also started 8-0. Madison Rigdon paced the Jayhawks’ offense with 13 kills, including eight kills on 11 error-less swings in the third and final set.
“It was a great environment for Wyoming tonight but our team responded very well in all phases of the game – serving, passing, attacking – and ran the game plan how we wanted to,” Head Coach Ray Bechard said. “This is one of those performances that our team can continue to build on as the season progresses.”
Sophomore right-side hitter Kelsie Payne, the Big 12’s leader in kills per set, continued to put up impressive numbers with 12 kills on a .417 attack percentage and four blocks against the Cowgirls. Junior middle blocker Tayler Soucie set a season-high nine blocks and sophomore setter Ainise Havili posted 41 assists with nine digs.
Wyoming (6-2) suffers its first home loss of the season on a night when no Cowgirls registered double-digits in kills or digs. The Jayhawks defense held the Cowgirls to a .030 attack percentage. Wyoming entered the week receiving votes in the AVCA Coaches’ Poll.
KU concludes play in Pistol Pete’s Showdown against Marquette on Saturday at 11:30 a.m. Central.
• KU’s eight-match winning streak is tied for the third-best start to a season in program history. The 1990, 2002, and 2004 Kansas squads also started 8-0.
• Kansas now leads the overall series against Wyoming, 5-1, including a 2-1 mark in Laramie.
• Kansas is 2-0 in true road games this season.
• KU finished with a 73 percent sideout rate (38-52). The Jayhawks have a sideout percentage of 70 or better in five of eight matches this season.
• Junior middle blocker Tayler Soucie set a season-high nine blocks.
• Kansas entered the weekend as the Big 12 leader in aces per set (2.5), but have since not recorded an ace in two matches this weekend in Wyoming.
• Kansas out-blocked Wyoming 9.0-to-6.0.
KUAthletics.com: The official online source for Kansas Athletics, Williams Education Fund contributions, tickets, merchandise, multimedia, photos and much, much more.