No. 10 Kansas Begins Second Half of Big 12 Play at Iowa State
|No. 10 Kansas at Iowa State
Wednesday, Oct. 28, 2015
6 p.m. CT
Notes Link Kansas Notes
No. 10 Kansas (19-1, 7-1 Big 12) concludes back-to-back road matches against top-25 opponents in the NCAA RPI on Wednesday evening at Iowa State (6 p.m. CT, ESPNU). The Cyclones (13-6, 6-2) enter the week ranked No. 21 in the NCAA RPI and unranked in the AVCA Coaches Poll.
• KANSAS-IOWA STATE SERIES: Kansas won the first meeting of the season against Iowa State, 3-0, on Oct. 10in Lawrence. Iowa State leads the all-time series with Kansas, 47-39-1. ISU is 9-1 in the last 10 matches against Kansas played in Ames. The long-time conference rivals have met every year since the series began in 1975.
• ROUND TWO: Wednesday marks the start of the second half of Big 12 Conference double-round robin play; all nine Big 12 volleyball teams play each other twice. The Jayhawks posted a 7-1 record in the first half of regular season conference play. It is the best start in conference play for KU since also starting 7-1 during the first season of Big 12 double-round robin play in 2012.
• NEARING 20 WINS: KU is one win away from reaching 20 wins in a season for the fourth consecutive season and 15th time overall in program history. The fastest KU season to reach 20 wins was 1991, reaching the mark in 23 matches.
• WINNING STREAK ENDS: KU’s 19-match winning streak ended on the road at No. 2 Texas on Friday, Oct. 23. It marked the best start to a season in program history (19-0) and the longest winning streak in program history (W19). During KU’s 19-match winning streak, the Jayhawks held a 57-5 (.919) set record, including a 21-2 (.913) set record in Big 12 play.
• TOP 10: Kansas is No. 10 in this week’s AVCA Coaches Poll. The Jayhawks have been ranked in the top-10 for four consecutive weeks and ranked in the top-25 for eight consecutive weeks. Before falling three spots in the rankings on Monday after losing for the first time this season, Kansas had reached a program-high ranking in the AVCA Coaches Poll for five consecutive weeks. Entering the season, KU’s highest ranking was No. 17 at the end of 2013 season.
• BIG 12 LEADERS: KU leads the Big 12 Conference in in kills per set, hitting percentage, aces per set, assists per set, and hitting percentage defense. Sophomore setter Ainise Havili leads the Big 12 in assists per set, three Jayhawks are listed on the Big 12 kills per set and hitting percentage top-10 lists, respectively.
• WAIT MOVING UP: Junior libero Cassie Wait is steadily climbing KU’s career digs list, currently tied for seventh with Kris Kleinschmidt (1988-91) at 1,103 career digs. The Gardner, Kansas, native ranks third in the Big 12 in digs per set (4.8) and anchors a KU defense that is holding opponents to a Big 12-best .160 hitting percentage.
• SET DOMINANCE: TheJayhawks hold a 57-8 (.877) set record this season and have yet to play a five-set match. Kansas has only lost five sets during Big 12 Conference play (21-5; .807).
• NEXT UP: Kansas plays host to Baylor on Saturday morning (11:30 a.m. CT, Time Warner Cable SportsChannel). Tickets are still available for the Halloween matinee featuring a number of promotions, including Volleyboo ($3 admission for fans dressed in a costume), Youth Volleyball Day ($3 admission to youth volleyball players in uniform), and a Trick-or-Treat Candy Giveaway.
Notes Link Kansas Notes