KU Tennis Beats Drake, Comes up Short Against Tulsa
Jan. 21, 2007
LAWRENCE, Kan. — The University of Kansas tennis team split a pair of duals on Sunday, defeating Drake, 4-1, after earlier suffering a 4-3 setback to Tulsa at First Serve in Lawrence.
The 59th-ranked Jayhawks, who ended the opening weekend of the season with a 1-2 record, dominated Drake in the nightcap, winning all three doubles matches to take the point, as well as the first three singles matches. Drake’s only point came by default due to an injury to KU’s Ksenia Bukina. The No. 4 and No. 5 singles contests were stopped after the Jayhawks had clinched win.
With Kansas up 3-0, junior Elizaveta Avdeeva, who fell to DU’s Veronika Leszayova in the first set of the No. 1 match, won the next two sets to clinch the victory for the Jayhawks. KU also got singles wins from freshman Kunigunda Dorn and sophomore Edina Horvath.
In the first meeting of the day, Kansas lost a hard-fought 4-3 decision to Tulsa. KU dropped the doubles point, and then fell behind 2-0 after Bukina could not compete in her singles match. Notching points for the Jayhawks were Avdeeva, Dorn, who’s victory came in three sets, and sophomore Yuliana Svistun.
Avdeeva, an Obninsk, Russia, native, was a perfect 4-for-4 in both singles and doubles action on Sunday.
KU will next be in action on Jan. 27 when it hosts Big 12 foe Texas in Lawrence. The dual is set to begin at noon.
Tulsa 4, Kansas 3
1) Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU) def. Carla Zabaleta (TU), 6-0, 6-2
2) Kindsay Grimes (TU) def. Ksenia Bukina (KU), injury default
3) Kunigunda Dorn (KU) def. Santie Delport (TU), 3-6, 6-4, 6-0
4) Thalia Barriga (TU) def. Edina Horvath (KU), 6-3, 6-3
5) Zeng (TU) def. Lauren Hommell (KU), 6-1, 6-2
6) Yuliana Svistun (KU) def. Jenna Webster (TU), 6-3, 6-2
1) Avdeeva/Horvath (KU) def. Grimes/Zabelata (TU), 8-2
2) Delport/Marcinkowska (TU) def. Hommell/Dorn (KU), 8-1
3) Barriga/Zeng (TU) def. Bukina/Svistun (KU), 8-6
Kansas 4, Drake 1
1) Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU) def. Veronika Leszayova (DU), 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
2) Kuniqunda Dorn (KU) def. Zi Wang (DU), 6-0, 6-1
3) Edina Horvath (KU) def. Irina Kalashnikova (DU), 7-6 (5), 6-2
4) Eveline Rusdianto (DU) vs. Lauren Hommell (KU), suspended with DU leading 5-4
5) Yuliana Svistun (KU) vs. Kari Sloboth (DU), suspended with KU leading 1-0
6) Allison Wilkie (DU), wins by injury default
1) Avdeeva/Horvath (KU) def. Leszayova/Sarah Plowman (DU), 8-4
2) Dorn/Hommell (KU) def. Wilkie/Sloboth (DU), 8-1
3) Ksenia Bukina/Svistun (KU) def. Kalashnikova/Rusdianto (DU), 8-5