Feb. 7, 2009
No. 21 Kansas 78, Oklahoma State 67
Feb. 7, 2009 – Lawrence, Kan.
The Kansas win…
– Improves the Jayhawks to 19-4 overall and 8-0 in Big 12 play this season. KU’s 8-0 record in the conference is its best mark since 2004-05, when the team won its first nine games against Big 12 opponents.
– Gives KU its eighth-straight win and continues its longest winning streak of the season.
– Extends the Jayhawks’ home court winning streak to 37 games, the longest active streak in NCAA Division I basketball.
– Gives KU a 102-52 edge in the all-time series with Oklahoma State, including 41-8 in Allen Fieldhouse and 13-5 during the Big 12 era.
– Makes Kansas 629-106 all-time at Allen Fieldhouse, including 91-6 under head coach Bill Self.
– Improves Self to 161-36 at KU and 368-141 overall. Self is now 6-6 against his alma mater, including 5-3 while at Kansas.
– Makes Kansas 1,962-789 all-time.
– Kansas employed the starting lineup of Sherron Collins, Brady Morningstar, Tyshawn Taylor, Marcus Morris and Cole Aldrich for the 12th time this season and for the sixth time in a row.
– Kansas shot 11-for-15 from the free throw line against Oklahoma State. Over the past three games, KU is 46-for-55 (83.6 percent).
– Sophomore Cole Aldrich grabbed a career-high 18 rebounds. His 18 boards were the most by a Kansas player since Wayne Simien had 20 rebounds against Kansas State on March 2, 2005.
– Aldrich’s 16 defensive rebounds were the most in a conference game since the 1988-89 season and is the most since Drew Gooden had 20 against Texas Tech in the Big 12 Tournament on March 9, 2002.
– Aldrich also added 12 points for his 12th double-double of the season and 13th of his career. He is now averaging a double-double for the year with 14.6 points per game and 10.2 boards per game.
– Aldrich had three blocked shots in the game and now has multiple blocks in three straight games, and 19 of his 23 games this season. He has 92 career blocks and passed Julian Wright.
– Sophomore Brady Morningstar matched a career high with six assists. Morningstar has had six assists in two other games this year, however, this was the first time it happened against a Big 12 opponent.
– Junior Mario Little matched a season high with six field goals and set a season high with eight field goal attempts. Little also hit just his second three-point attempt of the season.
– Little is now shooting 69 percent during the conference season (27-for-39) after a 6-for-8 effort today.
– Little also set a season high with three assists in the game.
– Kansas hit 11 three-pointers Saturday, which was the most in a conference game since the Jayhawks had 14 against Texas Tech last year.
– Kansas held Oklahoma State to its third-lowest point total of the season (67). The Cowboys were averaging 84.2 points per game, which ranked fifth in the country.
– Kansas outrebounded the Cowboys 46-33, and have not been outrebounded in its last seven games. KU’s rebound margin in those seven games is +11.3.
– Oklahoma State’s 10 three-pointers tied for the most by a KU opponent this season (last vs. Siena, Jan. 6). However, the Cowboys’ 32 attempts were the most by a Jayhawk opponent this year.
– OSU’s 32 three-point attempts were the most by a conference opponent against KU, since Baylor shot 35 on Feb. 11, 2003.
– OSU guard Byron Eaton’s 10 assists were the most by a Kansas opponent since D.J. Augustine had 13 on March 3, 2007.
– Kansas has now held seven of its last nine opponents under 40 percent shooting as well as 15 of its 23 opponents this season.