KU Downed by No. 55 Arkansas, 5-2
Feb. 11, 2007
<?xml:namespace prefix=”st1″ ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags”?>LAWRENCE, Kan. – Despite getting singles victories from junior Lauren Hommell and sophomore Yuliana Svistun, the University of Kansas lost to 55th-ranked Arkansas, 5-2, Sunday afternoon in Lawrence.<?xml:namespace prefix=”o” ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office”?>
The loss drops Kansas to 1-6 on the season, while Arkansas improved to 6-1.
Kansas opened the dual by getting a doubles victory from its No. 1 tandem of junior Elizaveta Avdeeva and sophomore Edina Horvath, 8-4, over UA’s Kaluder and Bordeleau. The duo improved to 6-1 this spring.
After dropping the No. 3 match, the doubles point came down to the No. 2 contest. KU’s Hommell and Svistun appeared to be on their way to victory, up 7-5, however, Arkansas’ Airapetian and Franco battled back to win the match, 9-7, capturing the doubles point the Lady Razorbacks.
In singles play, Hommell, who was playing after Arkansas had clinched the dual by winning the No. 1, 2 and 3 matches, won a thrilling three set match in which the third was played as a tiebreaker, 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (8).
Svistun, a Ufa, Russia, native, also notched a victory for the Jayhawks in the No. 5 position, 8-4, over UA’s Melissa Hoffmeister.
Junior Stephanie Smith made her spring season debut, teaming with Dorn in the No. 3 doubles position and falling to Arkansas’ Rachel Wilhelm, 8-3, in the No. 6 singles slot.
Kansas will continue its homestand next weekend when it faces BYU on Friday a 2 p.m. and then Utah on Saturday at 11 a.m. Both duals will be played at First Serve.
1) #65 Ela Kaluder (Ark.) def. Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU), 6-3, 6-1
2) Nanar Airapetian (Ark.) def. Kunigunda Dorn (KU), 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
3) Maryori Franco (Ark.) def. Edina Horvath (KU), 7-6 (5), 6-2
4) Lauren Hommell (KU) def. Audrey Bordeleau (Ark), 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (8)
5) Yuliana Svistun (KU) def. Rachel Wilhelm (Ark.), 8-4
6) Melissa Hoffmeister (Ark.) def. Stephanie Smith (KU), 8-3
1) Avdeeva/Horvath (KU) def. Kaluder/Bordeleau (Ark.), 8-4
2) Airapetian/Franco (Ark.) def. Hommell/Svistun (KU), 9-7
3) Hoffmeister/Wilhelm (Ark.) def. Dorn/Smith (KU), 8-4