Kansas Tennis Ends UTEP Winning Streak
Feb. 28, 2010
LAWRENCE, Kan. –
Junior Maria Martinez, sophomores Erin Wilbert and Ekaterina Morozova and freshman Sara Lazarevic all recorded singles wins as the Kansas tennis team cruised past UTEP, 4-1, to stop a Miner seven-game winning streak Sunday. Freshman Victoria Khanevskaya did not finish in singles and the teams did not participate in doubles play due to rain and strong winds in El Paso, Texas.
With a win over UTEP’s Marina DeLuca, Martinez extended her winning streak to four matches and improved her singles record to 6-2.
The Jayhawks own a 4-0 advantage over UTEP in the series dating back to 1987.
KU continues match play next weekend when it travels to Tulane on Saturday and New Orleans on Sunday. Match play begins at noon both days.
Check back to www.kuathletics.com/tennis for complete results.
Kansas 4, UTEP 1
1. Ekaterina Morozova (KU) def. Dariya Abdrakhmanova (UTEP) 6-3, 6-3
2. Sara Lazarevic (KU) def. Carolina DeLuca (UTEP) 6-2, 6-2
3. Maria Martinez (KU) def. Marina DeLuca (UTEP) 6-4, 6-1
4. Alexandra Glebova (UTEP) def. Kunigunda Dorn (KU) 7-5, 6-4
5. Erin Wilbert (KU) def. Ximena Fuentes (UTEP) 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
6. Veronika Makashov (UTEP) vs. Victoria Khanevskaya (KU) 7-5, 4-4, unfinished