Kansas 85, Texas 73 Postgame Notes
March 12, 2011
Kansas Postgame Notes
Kansas 85, Texas 73
March 12, 2011
Kansas’ Win Over Texas…
…Made Kansas 32-2 and gave KU 32 victories for the fourth time in the last five seasons.
…Gave Kansas its eighth Big 12 Championship title and 12th overall conference tourney postseason title.
…Improved KU to 12-5 all-time in conference tourney title games.
…Made the KU-UT series 18-7 in favor of Kansas.
…Kansas has now won 18-straight games versus Colorado and 45 of the last 46 meetings dating back to 1991.
…Improved Kansas to 61-23 in league tournament play, including a 31-7 mark at the Big 12 Championship.
…Made Kansas 4-0 at the Sprint Center this season.
…Made KU 16-1 in games away from Allen Fieldhouse (9-1 in true road games and 7-0 on neutral floors).
…Made Bill Self 234-45 while at Kansas, 441-150 all-time and 26-8 in conference tournament play, including a 17-3 during his time with the Jayhawks.
…Gave Bill Self his sixth overall league tourney title, including his fifth while at Kansas.
…Make Kansas 2,035-798 all-time.
– Kansas’ starting five was Brady Morningstar, Tyrel Reed, Tyshawn Taylor, Markieff Morris and Marcus Morris for the first time since KU hosted Colorado on Feb. 19.
– Kansas finished the game with six players in double figures for the third time this season. KU is now 3-0 when six players score 10 or more points. The entire starting five recorded 10 or more points in addition to sophomore forward Thomas Robinson off the bench.
– Kansas’ 48 first half points were the most scored by a Texas opponent in the opening frame this season. The previous best was 45 by Illinois on Nov. 18.
– Kansas also gave the Longhorns their biggest deficit entering halftime at 15 points with a 48-33 lead at the break. Their previous largest halftime deficit was also against Kansas as UT trailed the Jayhawks 35-23 at the break on Jan. 22.
– Morningstar tallied six assists and two turnovers in 38 minutes giving him 75 assists and just 18 miscues in his last 19 games (Big 12).
– Taylor scored in double figures for the 13th time on the season with 20 points. It marked his second-straight double-figure scoring performance and his first 20-point outing of the season. He scored in double-figures in back-to-back games for the first time since netting 13 points vs. Missouri (Feb. 7) and 14 points vs. Iowa State (Feb. 12).
– Taylor’s 20 points marked a season-high. He previously scored 17 points on two occasions this season (Longwood, UCLA)
– Taylor led Kansas in scoring for the just the third time this season.
– Marcus Morris tied his career high and set a new season high with six assists.
– Marcus Morris scored in double figures for the 32nd time in 34 game this season with 17 points.
– Marcus Morris was named Most Outstanding Player of the 2011 Big 12 Championship, while his brother Markieff Morris earned a spot on the All-Tournament Team.
– Marcus Morris is the sixth different Kansas player to earn the honor joining Sherron Collins (2010), Brandon Rush (2008), Mario Chalmers (2006), Jeff Boschee (1999) and Paul Pierce (1997, 1998).