Kansas Falls at Colorado
March 14, 2008
<?xml:namespace prefix=”st1″ ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags”?>BOULDER, Colo. – After winning two matches against ranked opponents last week to earn a spot in the national rankings, the University of Kansas tennis team suffered a setback at Colorado, 7-0, Friday afternoon.<?xml:namespace prefix=”o” ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office”?>
The loss dropped No. 55 KU to 5-6 (1-1) while the Buffaloes improved to 5-6 (2-0.)
KU struggled throughout the dual on Friday, as its only victory came in the No. 1 doubles match, where senior Elizaveta Avdeeva and junior Edina Horvath picked up their team-leading eighth victory of the spring season against CU’s Camila Bellasi and Monica Milewski, 8-7 (3).
Kansas’ No. 3 tandem of freshman Magdalena Tokarczyk and junior Yuliana Svistun lost for the first time while playing together in dual match play, while the Jayhawks’ No. 2 duo of senior Lauren Hommell and Kunigunda Dorn also fell short in its contest.
With a 1-0 lead after taking the doubles point, Colorado then went on to win all six singles matches, marking only the second time this season that KU has been shutout.
Tokarczyk and Avdeeva, playing No. 1 and No. 2 singles, respectively, took each of their matches to three sets, but both eventually fell short.
The Jayhawks will look to rebound on Sunday when they travel to Columbia, Mo., to take on Border-Showdown rival Missouri. The dual is slated to begin at 11 a.m. Check back with kuathletics.com for live updates from the match.
1) Avdeeva/Horvath(KU) def. Belassi/Milewski (CU) 8-7 (3)
2) Esposito/Jendrian (CU) def. Dorn/Hommell (KU) 8-2
3) Torres Torres/Abbie Probert (CU) def. Svistun/Tokarczyk (KU) 8-4
1) Monica Milewski (CU) def Magdalena Tokarczyk (KU) 6-3, 0-6, 7-5
2) Camila Belassi (CU) def Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU) 2-6, 7-5, 6-3
3) Gleisy Torres Torres (CU) def Edina Horvath (KU) 6-2, 6-3
4) Veera Nurmi (CU) def Kunigunda Dorn (KU)6-4, 6-2
5) Melisa Esposito (CU) def Lauren Hommell (KU) 6-3, 6-3
6) Franziska Jendrian (CU) def Stephanie Smith (KU) 6-1, 6-2