Kansas Tennis Falls to No. 63 Texas Tech, 6-1, in Big 12-Opener
March 18, 2011
Kansas tennis dropped its Big 12 Conference-Opener to No. 63-ranked Texas Tech, 6-1, snapping a four-match winning streak, Friday afternoon at the McLeod Tennis Center in Lubbock, Texas.
Ekaterina Morozova was the only Jayhawk to earn a win Friday, retiring Elizabeth Ullathorne 6-4 in the No. 1 singles match. Kansas dropped to 6-5 on the season and 0-1 in the Big 12 while the Lady Raiders moved to 10-3 and 1-0 in the Big 12.
The Jayhawks were swept in the doubles portion of the match, leaving them down by one going into singles. Monica Pezzotti and Paulina Los threatened in the No. 3 doubles match, but fell to Ullathorned and Haley Fournier 8-5. Morozova and Dylan Windom then fell in the No. 1 match and Erin Wilbert and Sara Lazarevic dropped the No. 2 match to close out doubles.
In singles action, Wilbert and Windom were defeated in straight sets in the Nos. 5 and 6 singles matches before Morozova bounced back with a win. Pezzotti then fell in the No. 2 match to Samantha Adams, 6-1, 6-0.
Lazarevic then fell in third singles to Caroline Starck, 6-0, 6-3, and Los snapped her winning streak with a 6-1, 6-0 loss to Fournier in No. 4 singles.
Kansas continues their Big 12-opening weekend Sunday afternoon in Waco, Texas, with No. 10 Baylor.
Texas Tech 6, Kansas 1
March 18, 2011
McLeod Tennis Center – Lubbock, Texas
1. Kelsy Garland/Samantha Adams (TT) def. Ekaterina Morozova/Dylan Windom (KU) 8-2
2. Caroline Starck/Nikki Sanders (TT) def. Erin Wilbert/Sara Lazarevic (KU) 8-4
3. Elizabeth Ullathorne/Haley Fournier (TT) def. Monica Pezzotti/Paulina Los (KU) 8-5
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Ekaterina Morozova (KU) def. Elizabeth Ullathorne (TT) 6-4, retired
2. Samantha Adams (TT) def. Monica Pezzotti (KU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Caroline Starck (TT) def. Sara Lazarevic (KU) 6-0, 6-3
4. Haley Fournier (TT) def. Paulina Los (KU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Kelsy Garland (TT) def. Erin Wilbert (KU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Nikki Sanders (TT) def. Dylan Windom (KU) 6-0, 6-1
Order of finish: 4, 6, 1, 2, 3, 5