Tennis Edges Iowa State for 34th-Straight Victory Against the Cyclones
April 1, 2011
AMES, Iowa –
Kansas tennis continued its domination against Iowa State when the Jayhawks pulled out a close 4-3 win against Cyclones Friday Afternoon at the Forker Tennis Courts in Ames, Iowa, extending its unprecedented winning streak to 34 games.
The win snapped another streak for KU, as the Jayhawks rebounded from an 0-4 Big 12-opening performance to post their first conference win of the season. Kansas is now 7-8 on the season and 1-4 in the Big 12. The Cyclones fell to 10-9 overall and 1-4 in conference play.
The Jayhawks started off with a doubles win, which was their first one in Big 12 play. Kansas saw wins from the first and second doubles positions. KU’s No. 73-ranked team of Ekaterina Morozova and Dylan Windom won their third straight at the No. 1 spot, prevailing in a tough tiebreak set to defeat Tessa Lang and Maria Fernanda Macedo 9-8 (4).
Erin Wilbert and Sara Lazarevic clinched the doubles point for KU in the second doubles match with an 8-5 downing of Erin Karonis and Simona Cacciuttolo. The victory was the first for the partners this season.
While the Jayhawks’ top three singles players went down, the bottom of the order fought back. KU was able to capture the match using wins from Paulina Los, Erin Wilbert and Dylan Windom in the Nos. 4, 5 and 6 positions. Windom won an especially tight No. 6 singles match against Liza Wischer. The freshman won a first-set tiebreaker 7-4, but then dropped the second set 6-3 to Wischer. But Windom, who led Kansas with a 4-1 record in three-set matches coming into the weekend, took the final set easily to top Wischer with a final score of 7-6 (4), 3-6, 6-4.
Next up for KU will be No. 41 Nebraska. The Jayhawks will travel to Lincoln, Sunday for a 12 p.m. matchup at the Nebraska Tennis Center.
Kansas 4, Iowa State 3
April 1, 2011 — Ames Iowa
Forker Tennis Courts
1. #73 Morozova/Windom (KU) def. Lang/Macedo (ISU) 9-8 (7-4)
2. Lazarevic/Wilbert (KU) def. Karonis/Cacciuttolo (ISU) 8-5
3. Langhorst/Wischer (ISU) def. Los/Pezzotti (KU) 8-5
1. Erin Karonis (ISU) def. #65 Ekaterina Motozova (KU) 5-7, 6-0, 6-2
2. Maria Fernanda Macedo (ISU) def. Monica Pezzotti (KU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Tessa Lang (ISU) def. Sara Lazarevic (KU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-0
4. Paulina Los (KU) def. Simona Cacciuttolo (ISU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Erin Wilbert (KU) def. Marie-Christine Chartier (ISU) 7-5, 6-4
6. Dylan Windom (KU) def. Liza Wischer (ISU) 7-6 (7-4), 3-6, 6-4