Tennis Ends Big 12 Road Trip with 5-2 Loss at No. 41 Nebraska
April 3, 2011
LINCOLN, Neb. –
Freshmen Dylan Windom and Victoria Khanevskaya played strong against No. 41 Nebraska Sunday afternoon, but Kansas tennis was still overtaken 5-2 by the Cornhuskers at the 17th and Vine Street Tennis Courts in Lincoln, Neb.
The Jayhawks split their second Big 12 Conference road swing and are now 7-9 overall and 1-5 in conference play. The Cornhuskers moved to 16-3 for 2011 and improved to 4-1 in the Big 12.
Kansas’ 73rd-ranked doubles duo of Ekaterina Morozova and Dylan Windom fell 8-4 in the opening doubles match, snapping their three-match win streak. Monica Pezzotti and Paulina Los then evened the doubles portion of the match up with an 8-3 victory over Maike Zeppernick and Frederike Putthoff in the third spot.
Erin Wilbert and Sara Lazarevic could not hold on against Patricia Veresova and Janine Weinreich in the No. 2 doubles match. The ‘Husker duo won 8-4 to give Nebraska a 1-0 advantage entering singles play.
Madeleine Geibert and Weinreich quickly put the Cornhuskers ahead 3-0 with victories over Pezzotti and Wilbert the first and fourth singles matches. Veresova then clinched the match for Nebraksa with a 6-1, 6-3 defeat of Lazarevic in No. 2 singles.
The Jayhawks then rebounded, as Windom downed Putthoff 6-4, 6-1 in No. 5 singles. Los looked as though she would put another Kansas point on the board in the No. 3 singles match but was outlasted by Stephanie Weinstein in the third set.
Khanevskaya concluded the day for Kansas by collecting her Big 12 win of the season over Jennifer Holmberg in No. 6 singles. The freshman prevailed in a second-set super tiebreaker to win 5-7, 6-4 (10-8).
KU now returns home to host two Big 12 matches next weekend. Kansas will start the weekend off by hosting No. 74 Missouri in Friday afternoon’s Border Showdown, followed by Colorado Sunday.
No. 41 Nebraska 5, Kansas 2
April 3, 2011 — Lincoln, Neb.
17th & Vine St. Courts
1. Geibert/ Weinstein (NU) def. #73 Morozova/ Windom (KU), 8-4
2. Veresova/ Weinreich (NU) def. Wilbert/ Lazarevic (KU), 8-4
3. Pezzotti/ Los (KU) def. Zeppernick/ Putthoff (NU), 8-3
Order of finish:1, 3, 2
1. Madeleine Geibert (NU) def. Monica Pezzotti (KU), 6-3, 6-1
2. Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Sara Lazarevic (KU), 6-1, 6-3
3. Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. Paulina Los (KU), 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
4. Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Erin Wilbert, 6-3, 6-0
5. Dylan Windom (KU) def. Frederike Putthoff (NU), 6-4, 6-1
6. Victoria Khanevskaya (KU) def. Jennifer Holmberg (NU), 5-7, 6-4 (10-8)
Order of finish: 1, 4, 2, 5, 3, 6
Team Records: No. 41 Nebraska (16-3, 4-1 Big 12); Kansas (7-9, 1-5 Big 12)