Nebraska Halts Kansas' Winning Streak, 4-3
April 5, 2006
<?xml:namespace prefix=”st1″ ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags”?>LINCOLN, Neb. – The 63rd ranked University of Kansas tennis team dropped a hotly contested conference match, 4-3, on Wednesday to No. 49 Nebraska in Lincoln. The loss snapped the Jayhawk’s six match winning streak and drops KU to 11-7 overall and 2-4 in Big 12 play.<?xml:namespace prefix=”o” ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office”?>
Despite the team’s loss, the Jayhawk’s Elizaveta Avdeeva continued her dominance in the No. 2 singles slot, defeating Imke Reimers to earn her 10th consecutive victory. The Obninsk, Russia native is now 15-3 in singles action this spring.
The dual began with the `Huskers taking two of three doubles matches to earn the point. Kansas got a win from its tandem of Christine Skoda and Yuliana Svistun, 8-3, over NU’s Vanessa Heute and Pamela Casitillejos.
KU also got singles victories from freshman Edina Horvath – her seventh straight – as well as from Skoda in the No. 3 position.
The Jayhawks will look to bounce back this weekend when they host Border Showdown Rival Missouri on Saturday and Baylor, the nation’s eight-ranked team, on Sunday.
1) Kim Hartmann (NU) def. Ksenia Bukina (KU), 6-2, 1-6, 6-3
2) Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU) def. Imke Reimers (NU), 6-4, 7-5
3) Christine Skoda (KU) def. Milena Schulz-Gartner (NU), 7-6 (4), 6-1
4) Pamela Castillejos (NU) def. Lauren Hommell (KU), 6-4, 6-4
5) Edina Horvath (KU) def. Ewelina Skaza (NU), 6-3, 6-1
6) Vanessa Heute (NU) def. Stephanie Smith (KU), 6-4, 6-0
1) Skaza/Reimers (NU) def. Bukina/Avdeeva (KU), 8-4
2) Hartmann/Schulz-Gartner (NU) def. Hommell/Horvath (KU), 8-4
3) Skoda/Yuliana Svistun (KU) def. Heute/Castillejos (NU), 8-3