Jayhawks Cruise Past Missouri, 6-1
April 8, 2006
LAWRENCE, Kan. — The University of Kansas tennis team notched a win in the annual Border Showdown, 6-1, over rival Missouri on Saturday. With the win, KU improves to 12-7 on the season, including a 3-4 mark in the Big 12 Conference.
The Jayhawks opened the day by sweeping all three doubles matches, getting wins from the tandems of Elizaveta Avdeeva and Ksenia Bukina, Lauren Hommell and Edina Horvath, and Christine Skoda and Yuliana Svistun.
Kansas then took five of six singles matches, getting wins from Bukina, Avdeeva, Skoda, Hommell and Horvath, clinching KU’s seventh win in its past eight duals.
With her win, Avdeeva kept her singles winning streak alive, which now stands at 11 matches. Horvath and Skoda also extended their marks of consecutive singles victories to eight and six, respectively.
KU will next be in action on Sunday against the nation’s eighth-ranked and Big 12 leading Baylor Bears. The contest will mark the final home appearance for Skoda. Play is set to begin at 11 a.m. at Robinson Courts.
1) Ksenia Bukina (KU) def. Yelena Olshanskaya (MU), 6-1, 1-6, 6-4
2) Liza Avdeeva (KU) def. Lubica Nadasska (MU), 6-3, 6-3
3) Christine Skoda (KU) def. Erika Josbena (MU), 6-2, 6-2
4) Lauren Hommell (KU) def. Amanda Pratzel (MU), 7-5, 7-6 (1)
5) Edina Horvath (KU) def. Val Dandik (MU), 6-1, 6-3
6) Chrissy Svetlic (MU) def. Stephanie Smith (KU), 0-6, 6-4, 6-3
1) Avdeeva/Bukina (KU) def. Olshanskaya/Svatlic (MU), 8-1
2) Hommell/Horvath (KU) def. Josbena/Pratzel (MU), 8-4
3) Skoda/Svistun (KU) def. Bellis/Nadasska (MU), 8-3