DAY TO DAY (701D)
TRAVEL: TRAVEL PARTY
Authorized Travel Personnel on Team Trips
Team members (refer to Big Twelve manual for travel squad size for conference play)
Required coaching staff
Athletics Trainer(s) and manager(s)
Strength and Conditioning coach*
Media Relations Staff (as required)*
Athletic Administration (as approved by Athletics Director)
Video Staff *
Team Physicians (regularly FB/MBB/WBB & as essential for other sports)
*When space available and approved by Sport Supervisor
Football/Basketball (Additional Personnel)
Chancellor and spouse
Athletics Director and spouse
Spouse of Head Coach and any individuals identified by the Head Coach’s Employment Agreement
Faculty Athletics Representative
Williams Educational Fund Donors, as approved by Athletics Director
All other individuals, including spouses and children of coaches and assistant coaches, relatives, or any other guest, must be approved in advance of travel by the Sport Supervisor and will only be permitted if space is available.
Guidelines For Post-Season Athletics Events
The Chancellor’s Post Season Athletics Committee met on November 17, 1992, and established the general guidelines for post-season athletics event participation by the various constituent groups.
A. General Policy
If an athletics team and coaches receive a bid for post season competition and choose to participate, the Athletics Director will recommend to the Chancellor that the institution accept the bid. If the Chancellor concurs, participation by any of the groups outlined below in the post-season athletics event will be at the discretion of the Chancellor. Groups will be funded within the Big Twelve and/or NCAA expense allowances and in the order of priority as listed below unless otherwise directed by the Chancellor. The University desires maximum levels of participation consistent with the funds available.
The following groups (in prioritized order) will constitute the Official Party for the post-season athletics event activities:
1. Athletics team
2. Coaching staff
3. Essential athletics staff
4. Chancellor’s group
5. Invited guests
6. Spirit squad
B. Official Party and Travel Policies.
The following groups will be funded as described unless otherwise authorized by the Chancellor:
1. The athletics team includes such varsity athletes, as the Head Coach deems necessary. Reimbursement may include a trip of 3-11 nights (depending upon event related activities, practice days, and The University of Kansas academic calendar), air transportation, lodging, meal allowances, and incidental allowances as prescribed by the Chancellor in conformity with Big Twelve and NCAA regulations.
2. The coaching staff includes all full and part-time team coaches. Spouses of the coaches and unmarried children living at home may be included at the recommendation of the Athletics Director with the approval of the Chancellor. In addition, spouses of varsity athletes may be included at the recommendation of the Head Coach with the approval of the Athletics Director. Reimbursement may include a trip of 3 to 11 nights (depending upon event-related activities, practice days, and The University of Kansas academic calendar), air transportation, lodging, meal allowances, and incidental allowances as prescribed by the Chancellor.
3. Essential athletic staff. This group includes the Athletics Director and such Athletics support staff, as the Athletics Director deems necessary for the event. Spouses and unmarried children living at home of essential athletic staff may be included at the recommendation of the Athletics Director with the approval of the Chancellor. Reimbursement will be consistent with that of the coaching staff.
4. The Chancellor’s Office. The minimum Chancellor’s Group includes the Chancellor and such other members of the Chancellor’s staff, as the Chancellor may deem appropriate. Reimbursement shall include a trip of 3 to 11 nights depending upon event related activities, team travel, other University of Kansas activities, air transportation, lodging, meal allowances and incidental allowances as prescribed by the Chancellor. Spouses and unmarried children living at home of the Chancellor’s staff may be included as recommended by the Chancellor.
5. Invited Guests and Essential Personnel may include the Governor, the Chair of the Board of Regents, the NCAA Institutional Representative, the President of KUEA, the President of KUAA, the Chair of Kansas Athletics Advisory Committee, donors, and Chancellor’s designees, along with spouses.
6. Spirit Squad and Band member participation will be determined by NCAA rules and alumni participation. Support by the Athletics Department will include transportation, meals and lodging consistent with NCAA expense allowances.
Reimbursement or benefit received (per IRS definition of income) of air transportation, lodging, meal allowances, and incidental allowances as prescribed by the Chancellor for Spouses and unmarried children living at home of the coaching staff, essential athletic staff , Chancellor’s Office and essential personnel will be considered taxable income to the employee of Kansas Athletics or The University of Kansas.
Guest Travel for Head Coaches
This policy applies to all Head Coaches who do not have an employment agreement that supersedes this policy.
Kansas Athletics will not pay the expenses for a Head Coach’s guest to travel with the team during the regular season.
For post-season championships each Head Coach may take one guest at Kansas Athletics expense. Kansas Athletics will pay travel costs but not per diem until the championship round. Kansas Athletics will pay per diem for the championship round (e.g., Final Four, World Series, NCAA Championship).
The expenses that will be paid by Kansas Athletics for the Head Coach’s guest include transportation, lodging (if necessary) and a subsistence allowance consistent with the Kansas Athletics policy. All guest travel expenses constitute taxable benefits to the Head Coach.
Kansas Athletics Staff Travel with Teams
Each team should provide to the appropriate sports supervisor, prior to the season’s beginning, an official travel party list. If the Head Coach wishes to take additional Kansas Athletics personnel on any trip, the sport supervisor must approve that travel. In any situation where a Kansas Athletics staff member travels with the team, that staff member should have job responsibilities to assist the team or should arrange meetings with institutional personnel at the competition site in order to utilize the trip as professional development.
Postseason Championship Travel
The NCAA Travel Handbook sets forth policies governing transportation to NCAA meets, tournaments and committee meetings. In general, the NCAA guarantees payment of round-trip transportation expenses for all qualified teams and individual competitors to the site of the competition. Ground transportation costs are submitted by the Travel Manager to the NCAA for reimbursement. All air travel reservations must be made through the NCAA Travel Service.
Certain benefits allowed by the NCAA to student-athletes are explicitly prohibited to employees despite their inclusion as a member of the official travel party. Except where specific exceptions are made within this policy, travel by individual employees is governed by Kansas Athletics travel policy.
The following rules and regulations apply to expenses incurred by employees while traveling as an official member of the team’s travel party:
1. The Director of Athletics or a Head Coach may be reimbursed for expenses incurred in the entertainment of officials of competing schools, as approved by the Chancellor.
2. Employees traveling with the team are not eligible for any per diem allowances for incidental expenses permitted by the NCAA for student-athletes.
3. Employees traveling with the team are not eligible for porter expenses for each day in transit.
4. Employees may not file individual expense reports for reimbursement of expenses associated with team travel. However, employees identified as “guests” traveling with a team may submit travel expenses, as provided in Policy 701A, Travel Individual Staff Members.