Jayhawks in the Pros #1
May 4, 2010
Throughout the course of the 2010 season, kuathletics.com will update the progress of the nine former Jayhawks who are currently playing within the ranks of professional baseball.
Jayhawks in MLB:
- Left-handed pitcher Tom Gorzelanny is in his second season with the Chicago Cubs and has posted a 1-3 record with a 2.48 ERA in five starts through the first month of the season. Gorzelanny earned his first win of the season Sunday, pitching seven innings, allowing three hits and two runs with a career-high 10 strikeouts against Arizona. The former Jayhawk, who was at Kansas from 2001-02, has allowed 22 hits and just 11 runs in 29 innings with 10 walks and 27 strikeouts.
Jayhawks in Class AAA:
- Third baseman Travis Metcalf has gotten off to a solid start this season. The former Jayhawk, who played at KU from 2002-04, is batting .300 in 24 games with the Colorado Springs Sky Sox – an affiliate of the Colorado Rockies. Metcalf went 3-for-4 with three RBIs and a pair of doubles in Sunday’s win at Las Vegas. Metcalf has two homers, 14 RBIs and a .450 slugging percentage this season as he looks to get back to the major leagues.
- Left-handed pitcher Mike Zagurski has pitched 11 games out of the bullpen for the Lehigh Valley IronPigs – an affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies. Zagurski, who pitched at KU from 2004-05, has posted a 6.75 ERA with three walks and 16 strikeouts in 10 2/3 innings. Zagurski pitched in the major leagues in 2007, but injuries ended his season prematurely. He missed the entire 2008 season, and has been looking to get back to the Majors.
Jayhawks in Class AA:
- Left-handed pitcher Sam Freeman was placed on the disabled list on April 16. Freeman, who pitched at KU in 2008, is currently with the Springfield Cardinals – an affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals. Last season, Freeman split time between Springfield and Palm Beach, going 2-2 with a 2.41 ERA and 47 strikeouts in 56 innings.
Jayhawks in Class A:
- Left-handed pitcher Nick Czyz made his third appearance of the spring on Sunday, pitching two innings. Czyz is currently with the High Desert Mavericks – an affiliate of the Seattle Mariners. Czyz, who pitched for the Jayhawks from 2006-08, started the year with the Clinton LumberKings, before earning a promotion to Class A Advanced. He is 1-0 with a 4.00 ERA in nine innings with High Desert.
- Left-handed pitcher Shaeffer Hall has started the 2010 season on the right foot, going 1-0 with an 0.81 ERA in five starts. Hall, who played at KU from 2008-09, is pitching with the Charleston RiverDogs – an affiliate of the New York Yankees. Hall held Hickory to two runs on six hits over eight innings on April 28 with three walks and four strikeouts. Hall has held his opponents to a .190 batting average and has 20 strikeouts in 33 1/3 innings this season.
- After getting off to a slow start, outfielder David Narodowski has hit safely in three of his last four games. Narodowski, who played at Kansas in 2009, went 1-for-2 last night with a walk for the South Bend Silver Hawks – an affiliate of the Arizona Diamondbacks organization. Narodowski is currently hitting .189 in 18 games with three doubles and a stolen base.
- Right-handed pitcher Paul Smyth has been dominant in the closer’s role this season for the Stockton Ports – an affiliate in the Oakland Athletics’ organization. Smyth, who pitched at KU from 2006-09, has appeared in eight games and allowed just one earned run and two walks in 16 1/3 innings. He has also posted 16 strikeouts. Smyth leads Stockton with three saves, including one on Saturday against Bakersfield.