Jayhawks in the Pros Notebook #2
June 4, 2007
During the course of the season kuathletics.com will check in with the 12 former Jayhawks who are currently playing in the professional ranks.
– Tom Gorzelanny is in his third season with the Pittsburgh Pirates and has put together an impressive start. The left-handed pitcher is 6-3 with a 2.53 ERA in 12 starts. Gorzelanny, who pitched at KU in 2002, went 6.2 innings in his latest start, a no-decision against the Dodgers. The former KU pitcher is tied for eighth in the National League in wins and fourth in ERA.
– Mike Zagurski made his major league debut on May 25 against the Atlanta Braves. This season, the left-handed reliever has appeared in four games, including a pair over the weekend against the San Francisco Giants. Zagurski does not have a decision, but has a 6.23 ERA (allowing earned runs in just one appearance) with a walk and three strikeouts in 4.1 innings. The 6-foot lefty played at KU from 2004-05.
– John Nelson spent time in the majors with the St. Louis Cardinals last season and is currently in AAA with the Memphis Redbirds. In 30 games this season, Nelson is hitting .181 with four home runs, 10 RBIs and eight runs scored. Nelson collected a pinch-hit single in Memphis’ 14-10 triumph over Las Vegas on Sunday. Nelson played at KU from 1998-2000.
– Les Walrond also appeared in a major league game last season, but has spent the 2007 season in AAA with the Iowa Cubs. Walrond, who played at KU from 1996-98, scattered eight hits over six innings and allowed four runs in a no-decision at Portland. Walrond is 5-2 this season with a 4.34 ERA and 44 strikeouts in 64.1 innings.
– Travis Metcalf made his major league debut on May 19 but was sent back to AA Frisco. Since his return to Frisco, Metcalf, who played at KU from 2002-04, is 9-for-36 with six doubles, four RBIs and a pair of multiple hit games. The 6-foot-3 infielder went 2-for-4 with a pair of doubles in Frisco’s 7-5 loss at Tulsa on Sunday.
– Don Czyz matched his longest outing of the season on Saturday, pitching three innings in Greensboro’s 10-3 triumph over West Virginia. Czyz, who pitched at KU from 2003-06, has made 21 relief appearances for the A club and has a 1-1 record with a 3.19 ERA. Czyz has pitched 31 innings and has 32 strikeouts, compared to four walks.
– Gus Milner went 2-for-4 on Sunday in Lakewood’s 3-1 loss to Lake County. Milner, who played at KU from 2005-06, is batting .284 with 14 doubles, four homers, 27 RBIs and 32 runs scored this season for the A affiliate for the Philadelphia Phillies.
– After spending time on the disabled list earlier this season, Jared Schweitzer has found his stroke for the Swing of Quad Cities. Schweitzer, who played at KU from 2004-06, is batting .325 this season with four home runs, 12 RBIs and a .519 slugging percentage. The 6-foot-1 third baseman went 2-for-2 with a homer, three RBIs and a pair of runs scored in Quad Cities’ 7-2 triumph over Wisconsin on Saturday.
– A.J. Van Slyke has also enjoyed recent success, going 3-for-5 with a run scored in Palm Beach’s 10-9 loss to Jupiter on May 31. Van Slyke, who played at KU from 2004-05, is batting .268 with a pair of home runs and eight stolen bases for Class A Palm Beach this season.
– Jacob JEan is in extended spring training with the Bristol Sox. Jean, who pitched at KU from 2004-05, has yet to appear in a game this season.