Jayhawks Fall To Tigers, 5-2
April 18, 2004
TOPEKA, Kan. – The University of Kansas tennis team (6-13 overall, 4-5 Big 12) fell to No. 57 Missouri (13-8 overall, 6-5 Big 12), 5-2 on Sunday, April 18 at Wood Valley Racquet Club in Topeka, Kan.
Kansas said goodbye to three very special seniors (Emily Haylock, Courtney Steinbock and Kristen Steinbock) who have meant a great deal to the tennis program.
The Jayhawks dropped all three of the doubles matches to open the dual and Missouri grabbed the doubles point.
The Crimson and Blue battled back in singles play led by an inspiring effort from Courtney Steinbock at the No. 1 position. Battling an injury, the Lubbock, Texas native blew by Urska Juric 6-2, 6-1. Haylock followed suit at the No. 2 spot by defeating Katka Sevcikova 6-7, 7-6, 6-1. Those were the lone victory’s the ‘Hawks were able to amount and they fell 5-2.
“Emily (Haylock) and Courtney (Steinbock) played as well as I have seen them play,” head coach Amy Hall said. “Kristen (Steinbock) was right there in her match too. I thought that the seniors really stepped it up and played well today. I just wish we could have gotten a win for them because they have meant so much to me and to this program.”
The Jayhawks will travel to College Station, Texas to take on No. 16 Texas A&M on Saturday, April 24 at 1:30 p.m.
Missouri 5 vs. Kansas 2
1. Courtney Steinbock (KU) def. Urska Juric (MU), 6-2, 6-1
2. Emily Haylock (KU) def. Katka Sevcikova (MU), 6-7, 7-6, 6-1
3. Hana Kraftova (MU) def. Christine Skoda (KU), 6-1, 6-2
4. Yelena Olshankskaya (MU) def. Kristen Steinbock (KU), 6-4, 6-4
5. Mary Barry (MU) def. Brittany Brown (KU), 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
6. Lucie Ruskova (MU) def. Luiza Loureiro (KU), 6-3, 6-4
1. Juric/Sevcikova (MU) def. C Steinbock/K. Steinbock (KU), 8-5
2. Olshankskaya/Josbena (MU) def. Haylock/Filberth (KU), 8-5
3. Kraftova/Barry (MU) def. Skoda/Brown (KU), 8-2