Game No. 1 - KU Football To Host Northern Colorado
Aug. 29, 2009
GAME NO. 1 – #25 KANSAS VS. NORTHERN COLORADO
Saturday, Sept. 5, 2009, 6 p.m.
Kivisto Field at Memorial Stadium
Radio: Jayhawk Network
(Bob Davis, David Lawrence, Nate Bukaty, Bob Newton [producer])
TV: Fox College Sports Central
(Dan McLaughlin, Yogi Roth, Samantha Steele)
Live Stats: www.kuathletics.com
or (785) 864-3141
QUICKLY – No. 25 Kansas will open its 120th season of college football hosting Northern Colorado on Saturday, Sept. 5 at 6 p.m. The game will be televised on Fox College Sports Central. All four of KU’s non-conference games will be televised.
– The Sept. 5 starting date is the latest calendar date a KU season has begun since 1998 when the Jayhawks opened the year hosting Oklahoma State on Sept. 5.
– KU is 2-1 in games played on Sept. 5 all time with a 15-11 win at Tulsa in 1981, a 49-7 win at Oregon State in 1992 and a 38-28 loss vs. Oklahoma State in 1998.
– KU is opening the season at home for the seventh straight year.
– KU has won five straight season and home openers.
– KU has won its last five season openers by an average margin of 27 points, including 35.3 points in the last three years.
– KU has won nine of its last 10 home openers.
– KU has posted a 23-4 record at home since the beginning of the 2005 season.
– KU has won 17 consecutive non-conference home games since losing the 2003 season opener to Northwestern.
– KU has won 16 of its last 18 games against non-Big 12 Conference foes, including three bowl victories.
– KU is 23-7 in its last 30 games overall dating back to late in 2006.
– KU has won 18 straight home games played at night. KU has won 14 of its last 18 night games played anywhere.
– KU has had nine straight home games with at least 48,000 in attendance, including six 50,000-plus games in that stretch.
MARKETING ACTIVITIES FOR THE UNC GAME
Giveaway: Fans will receive a commemorative 2009 Kansas Football t-shirt courtesy of Jack Ellena Honda (while supplies last).
Free Night for Junior Jayhawks: All Junior Jayhawks will be admitted free with their Jr. Jayhawks membership card. Family members can purchase additional tickets for just $25. Jr. Jayhawks can pickup their complimentary ticket at any Memorial Stadium ticket booth.
Hy-Vee Hawk Zone: The Hy-Vee Hawk Zone opens at 4 p.m. The Hy-Vee Hawk Zone features inflatable interactive Jayhawk games, the Crimson and Blue Line LIVE broadcast, and the Lawrence Journal-World/6 News Interactive Booth. Hy-Vee food and beverages are also available in the Hy-Vee Hawk Zone. This week the Kansas Soccer team and Head Coach Mark Francis will be signing autographs in the Hy-Vee Hawk Zone.