Kansas tied with Kansas State at Half

Oct. 6, 2007

<?xml:namespace prefix=”st1″ ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags”?>MANHATTAN, Kan. – After 30 minutes of play on Saturday afternoon, the Kansas football team has played to a 14-14 tie with the Kansas State Wildcats at Bill Snyder Family Stadium.

<?xml:namespace prefix=”o” ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office”?>

Junior Aqib Talib received a Todd Reesing pass in the left front corner of the end zone for his fourth touchdown reception of the year to tie the score for Kansas with just 11 seconds remaining in the half.

The Jayhawks got off to a shaky start in their first road game as sophomore quarterback Todd Reesing was intercepted on the first play from scrimmage. However, with the aid of a Wildcat penalty, the KU defense forced a three-and-out.

After a Kansas punt, the Wildcats struck first when Josh Freeman connected with Jordy Nelson for a 68-yard touchdown reception just over six minutes into the first quarter.

The Jayhawks went three-and-out on their ensuing possession and KansasState drove to the Kansas 26-yard line, before attempting a Brooks Rossman 43-yard field goal that jumped off the left upright.

After a pair of punts from each team, Kansas took over at their own 14 and proceeded to push their way 86 yards to the end zone. The 10-play drive lasted 4:13 and was capped off by a 20-yard Jake Sharp touchdown run. Sharp, with his head down, ran into a pack of players near the line of scrimmage, only to emerge on his feet and in the clear, sprinting down the left sideline for the equalizer.

KansasState immediately responded as Leon Patton ran into the end zone from seven yards out with 3:52 left in the second quarter to break a 7-7 tie.

Kansas then drove across the 50, but Reesing threw his second interception of the game. However, a few plays later, sophomore defensive tackle Caleb Blakesley tipped a Freeman pass into the hands of Russell Brorsen. The turnover led to Talib’s game-tying touchdown.