KU Falls on the Road to Iowa State, 13-7

Oct. 30, 2004

Final Stats | Notes | Photo Gallery

| Photo Gallery

Jayhawk Total Access Video Highlights

AMES, Iowa – Despite not giving up a single offensive touchdown, Kansas fell to Iowa State 13-7, Saturday at Jack Trice Stadium in Ames, Iowa. The Jayhawk defense held the Cyclones to just 194 yards of offense, but could not capitalize offensively.

Sophomore cornerback Charles Gordon intercepted a Bret Meyer pass on the game’s opening drive, but KU could not turn it into points.

Iowa State got on the board first with a 22-yard field goal by Bret Culbertson in the first period. At the end of one quarter, the Cyclones led 3-0. It was just the second time this season the Hawks had been scored on in the first period.

In the second quarter, Iowa State’s Brent Curvey picked up a Brian Luke fumble and returned it 31 yards for a touchdown. The Cyclones added a 34-yard Culbertson field goal in the third stanza to lead 13-0 going into the fourth quarter.

The Kansas defense continued to play well in the fourth quarter holding ISU scoreless in the period. With 3:09 remaining in the game, the Jayhawks put their first points on the board. KU’s third quarterback of the day, Jason Swanson, found Mark Simmons for a 20-yard touchdown to narrow the Cyclone lead to six, 13-7. KU would get the ball back on the game’s final possession but Swanson threw Kansas’ third interception of the day to seal the victory for Iowa State.

“Our defense played hard, good enough to win, but on the offensive side of the ball we couldn’t get anything clicking,” Kansas head coach Mark Mangino said. “We still have three games remaining, we have to rebound and get ready to play Colorado.”

Swanson completed seven passes for 70 yards and one score and also rushed 10 times for 45 yards. Simmons caught six passes for 61 yards and the Jayhawks’ lone touchdown.

Next week, the Jayhawks (3-5, 1-4 Big 12) will return home to host Colorado. Kickoff is set for 12:30 p.m.