Kansas at Texas Postgame Notes
Nov. 21, 2009
Kansas Postgame Notes
No. 3 Texas 51, Kansas 20
November 21, 2009
– Todd Reesing moved up several KU season records lists:
…His 441 pass attempts rank third. He also holds first and second place on that list.
…His 276 pass completions ties for second with his 2007 total. He also holds first place with 329 in 2008.
…His 3,118 passing yards rank third. He also holds first and second place.
…His 3,229 yards of total offense rank third. Also holds first and second place.
– Kansas’ 256 passing yards were its most in the last five games when it had 431 at Colorado.
– Kerry Meier has caught at least two passes in 32 consecutive games, and at least one pass in 33 straight contests.
– Dezmon Briscoe moved past Laverne Smith (1973-76) into sixth place on the KU career all-purpose yards list. Briscoe’s career total increased to 3,637.
– Briscoe finished with 101 receiving yards to notch his 13th career 100-yard game. It was his sixth of the season, which ranks as the season most behind his seven 100 yard games in 2008.
– Briscoe returned a kick-off 98 yards for a touchdown which was the first time a KU player did so since Marcus Herford against Baylor in 2007. The 98-yard return ranked as the fifth longest in KU history, the longest being a 108-yard return by Art Pooler in 1905 when returns longer than 100 yard were counted. Greg Heaggans, Eric Vann and June Henley all posted 100 yard returns.
– Jake Sharp’s two-yard TD run was his 23rd career rushing touchdown which tied him with Brandon McAnderson (2004-07) and Chip Hilleary (1989-92) for third on the KU all-time list. It was his 29th career overall touchdown, which tied Dezmon Briscoe for third on that KU list.
– Jeff Wheeler forced a fumble which was recovered by Justin Thornton. It was the third forced fumble for Wheeler of the season – the fourth of his career. The recovery was the second of Thornton’s career. Wheeler was credited with a sack on the play which was the ninth of his career.
– Wheeler finished the game with two sacks which made his total 10 for his career.
– Daymond Patterson made his first appearance since the Texas Tech game. He returned his first punt 32 yards which was his second longest return of the season.
– Rell Lewis saw his first action at running back since he had five carries at UTEP. He finished the game with five carries for 43 yards to lead the rushing attack.
– Texas’ 51 points were the most by a KU opponent this season. The previous high was 42 by Texas Tech. It was the most against a Kansas team since Texas Tech (63) in 2008.
– The announced attendance of 101,357 was the largest crowd KU had ever played in front of and the second 100,000+ plus crowd in school history (100,118 at Michigan in 1979). It was also the largest crowd in UT history.
– Kansas wore blue pants for the second time in 2009. KU also wore blue pants at Texas Tech. The last time KU had worn blue pants was the 2004 season.