MATCH PREVIEW: vs. No. 4 Texas
LAWRENCE, Kan. – Kansas hosts No. 4 Texas Saturday, Oct. 26 at 1 p.m. in the Horejsi Family Volleyball Arena. The match will serve as the alumni match, and fans are also welcome to donate to the food drive.
The Jayhawks are fresh off a five-set battle against in-state rival K-State, and the first of two matches of the 2019 Dillons Sunflower Showdown. Kansas was led by Morgan Christon, who tallied a career-high 18 kills against the Wildcats.
Junior setter Sara Nielsen tied a career-high 46 assists in the match, while Allie Nelson moved into eighth in career digs at Kansas with her 1,165 career digs.
No. 4 Texas enters the match 13-2 overall, 7-0 in Big 12 play. The Longhorns maintained their perfect mark in conference play after knocking off No. 1 Baylor in three sets.
In the last three meetings between the two Big 12 schools in Lawrence, Kansas, KU has won twice, including a four-set victory over the then-No. 5 Longhorns last season on Oct. 10 in the Horejsi Family Athletics Center.
Fans can watch the match on ESPNU or listen on the Jayhawk Radio Network with Nick Springer calling the action. Following the conclusion of the match, the team is available for postgame autographs.
|Date/Time:||October 26 at 1 p.m.|
|Opponent||No. 4 Texas|
|Location||Horejsi Family Volleyball Arena|
|Watch||Big 12 Now // ESPN+|
|Listen||Jayhawk Radio Network|
2018 VS. TEXAS
- Kansas split the season series with Texas, beating the Longhorns in the first match of the season between the two Big 12 schools. KU knocked off then-No. 5 Texas in four sets on Oct. 10 in the Horejsi Family Athletics Center. Current Kansas senior Ashley Smith finished second on the team with 17 kills, while fellow senior Allie Nelson had a team-high 15 digs.
- In the second meeting, Texas captured a four-set victory over Kansas Nov. 10 in Austin, Texas.
KANSAS, TEXAS FAMILY CONNECTION
- When Texas and Kansas play on Saturday a familiar name to Kansas fans can be noted as Texas senior Orie Agbaj, the older sister of Sophomore Kansas men’s basketball guard Ochai Agbaji, suits up for the Texas Longhorns.
OPPONENT PREVIEW: TEXAS
- Texas enters the match ranked No. 4 in the AVCA poll. The Longhorns are 13-2 overall and are 8-0 in Big 12 play after beating No. 1 Baylor Wednesday, Oct. 23.
- The Longhorn attack is led by Micaya White, who averages 3.91 kills per set. Texas has four that average two-or-more kills per set. Jhenne Gabriel serves as the primary setter for Texas, averaging 11.02 assists per set and has 573 in total.
- UT has three that have amassed over 45 total blocks this season with Skylar Fields boasting a team-high 52 blocks and 0.98 blocks per set. Sydney Petersen is the one player that has tallied more than 200 digs and averages 3.77 digs per set.
- Kansas hosts Oklahoma Saturday, Nov. 2 at 11 a.m. in the Horejsi Family Volleyball Arena.