Ask Before You Act!
As a fan of KU Athletics, it is important to become familiar with NCAA, Big 12 and Kansas Athletics Compliance rules. Please review the following information as a brief guide to NCAA compliance and please feel free to contact our office at any time for further inquiry.We appreciate your support and cooperation. Go Jayhawks!
A booster is an individual, independent agency, corporate entity (e.g., apparel or equipment manufacturer), or other organization that meets one of the following criteria:
- Current or previous season ticket holder;
- Current or previous member of an agency or organization promoting any Kansas Athletics program (e.g., KU Alumni Association, K Club, sport booster groups, etc.);
- Made financial contributions to Kansas Athletics or to an athletics booster organization (e.g., Hardwood Club);
- Assisting or have assisted in providing benefits including, but not limited to, financial assistance, use of a car, use of a cell phone;
- Providing allowable benefits (e.g., summer jobs) to enrolled student-athletes; or
- Promoting Kansas Athletics in any way.
*This list is not exhaustive. Please contact the Kansas Athletics Compliance Office if you have any questions about your possible status as a booster.
A prospective student-athlete is anyone who has entered the ninth grade (seventh grade for men’s basketball). Please remember, it is important to leave the recruiting to the coaching staffs of Kansas Athletics. Getting involved without consent from the Compliance Office could jeopardize the eligibility of the prospective student-athlete. Kansas Athletics is responsible for the actions of its boosters and fans and is always available to answer any questions regarding permissible recruiting activities.
Autograph Requests for Non-Profit Foundations
All autograph requests for any KU head coach should be made through the Kansas Athletics Marketing Office at (785) 864-7976.
- A non-profit or charitable organization (excluding high school groups) may request an autographed item [must provide 501(c) certification].
- Sale, trade or barter of an autographed item for personal gain (e.g., Ebay, Craigslist)
- Use of the name, picture or likeness of a student-athlete to promote the sale of a product for personal or commercial financial gain.
Please assist Kansas Athletics in promoting an NCAA-rules-compliant atmosphere by reporting any known sales of items featuring current student-athletes’ autographs.
An extra benefit is any special gift or arrangement provided to a student-athlete, or student-athlete’s friend or family member, that is not available to the general KU student body or the general population.
Examples of Extra Benefits (this is NOT an exhaustive list):
Prospective Student-Athletes and Enrolled Student-Athletes
- Use of an automobile or transportation
- Admission to an event (e.g., movies, athletics events, banquets, clubs, special events/parties, concerts)
- Cash or loans in any amount
- Gifts of any kind, including those for special occasions such as birthdays, religious holidays, graduation, etc.
- Free or reduced-cost services, rentals, or purchases of any type (e.g., meals, drinks, clothing, laundry, haircuts, legal fees, tattoos, golf, car repairs)
- Free or reduced-cost housing for any length of time
- Assistance with paying bills (e.g., cell phone, gas money, rent)
- Loans (including co-signing)
A recruiting inducement under NCAA rules is any special gift or arrangement provided to a prospective student-athlete that is not available to the general population. The arrangement of such a benefit would be considered an improper inducement to encourage the eventual enrollment of a prospective student-athlete at KU.
Social Media Reminders:
Boosters may not initiate or “accept” friend requests of prospects on Facebook, but they can “follow” recruits on Twitter. Boosters should NEVER post on a recruit’s “wall,” reply to a “tweet,” send them any kind of direct message, or take any other action that would constitute contacting any recruit.
This prohibition also includes creating fan pages for recruits to attend KU. We thank you for your support, but also request that you leave the recruiting up to the Kansas Athletics coaching staff members.
Kansas Athletics Compliance
1651 Naismith Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045
Follow us on Twitter @JayhawkComply and like us on Facebook at Kansas Athletics Compliance.