GAME PREVIEW: vs. Indiana State
LAWRENCE, Kan. – The Kansas women’s basketball team will face-off against Indiana State in its home opener of the 2019-20 season in Allen Fieldhouse on Thursday, Nov. 7.
|Date/Time||Nov. 7 at 7 p.m.|
|Watch||Big 12 Now on ESPN+|
|Listen||Jayhawk Radio Network|
- The last and only meeting between the Jayhawks and Sycamores dates back to Nov. 29, 1985, where Kansas won 106-56 in Allen Fieldhouse.
- Last season, Kansas started the season with a victory over UMKC 67-55 in Allen Fieldhouse on Nov. 7, 2018. The Jayhawks would go on a six-game win streak and 10-1 in non-conference play.
- In the last season opener, center Bailey Helgren scored seven points, grabbed nine rebounds and recorded five blocks.
- The Jayhawks are 39-11 all-time in season openers dating back to the first season of women’s basketball at KU in 1968-69. Entering his fifth season, head coach Brandon Schneider is 3-1 in season openers at Kansas.
- Through two exhibition games, Helgren averaged 12.5 points, 8.5 rebounds and 2.5 blocks.
- Junior forward Tina Stephens averaged 13.5 points, five rebounds and shot 60 percent from the field coming off the bench in the two exhibition games.
- Kansas has brought in seven newcomers to the roster, six returners and lost nine players, three of which were starters.
- In the 2018-19 season, KU won its first tournament title in the Schneider era at the Duel in the Desert with back-to-back wins over Washington State and Northwestern.
- The Jayhawks defeated Kansas State in Manhattan 61-54 in the 2018-19 season for the first time since 2014. The game also marked the 120th meeting between the two universities.
- In the 2019 Big 12 Tournament, Kansas got its first win since 2016 in the opening round against Oklahoma State 76-66.
On Sunday, Nov. 10, the Jayhawks will match up against the University of Illinois in Chicago in Allen Fieldhouse at 1 p.m.