RCW: Inside Tennis 3.7
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
The number of participants the Kansas women’s tennis team sent to the prestigious Riviera ITA Women’s All-American Championship at the Riviera Tennis Club in Pacific Palisades, California.
Notes QUICK HITS
- Kansas tennis had not had a participant in the Riviera ITA Women’s All-American Championship since 2007 when Elizaveta Avdeeva and Edina Horvath were selected to the qualifying draw of the doubles bracket. Avdeeva was also picked to compete in the pre-qualifying singles draw.
- Senior transfer Tess Bernard-Feigenbaum and sophomore Janet Koch each participated in the pre-qualifying singles draw on Saturday, Oct. 1. Both were eliminated from the draw, while Bernard-Feigenbaum won her consolation match and Koch lost in hers.
- Bernard-Feigenbaum also teamed with sophomore Anastasia Rychagova in the pre-qualifying doubles bracket. The KU duo posted a doubles win over a team from Texas A&M on Oct. 1, but dropped a tough match to a tandem from Georgia in the second round on Oct. 2.
- Ranked No. 49 in singles and coming off the 2016 Little Rock Invitational Flight A singles title with a perfect 3-0 mark, Rychagova earned an automatic bid in the singles qualifying bracket. Qualifying play runs on Oct. 4 and 5.
- With a No. 56 preseason ranking, Nina Khmelnitckaia and Janet Koch earned a spot in the doubles qualifying bracket.
- Four players/teams advance from the pre-qualifying draw into the qualifying bracket, which then feeds the main draw.