RCW: Inside Baseball 3.34
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
The Kansas baseball team has won six-straight games, its longest winning streak since 2014 when it won seven in a row.
Notes QUICK HITS
- Kansas’ an all-time record: 1,882-1806-18 (.510).
- The Jayhawks hold a 676-1,048-4 (.392) clip in conference play, including a 195-352-1 (.357) mark in Big 12 action.
- KU owns a .458 (372-440-4) winning percentage all-time in the month of May in program history.
- Kansas is a perfect 5-0 in the month of May so far this year and holds a record of 17-7 since April 1.
- The Jayhawks hold series wins over Texas, Oklahoma State and Oklahoma in Big 12 play with two series remaining.
- KU hosts K-State, May 12-14, in the Dillons Sunflower Showdown at Hoglund Ballpark.
- The two teams have played 360 times, with Kansas holding the advantage in the all-time series, 186-173-1.
- The Jayhawks have not won a series against the Wildcats in Lawrence since moving to three-game series in one city in 2012.
- Kansas has just one home win against K-State in the last nine games played at Hoglund Ballpark.
- KU’s RPI sits at 62 with seven games remaining, and three of those games at No. 5 RPI Texas Tech.
- To get into the top-45 in RPI, Kansas needs: three home wins and two road wins; two home wins and three road wins; or one home win and four road wins.
- Senior closer Stephen Villines is the active career saves leader in the NCAA with 38 and is one of two Power Five closers in the top-10.
- Villines’ 38 saves also rank second all-time in the Big 12 with a Texas Longhorn holding the top spot at 41 (Huston Street, 2000-04).
- Junior shortstop Matt McLaughlin was named to the 2017 Brooks Wallace Award Midseason Watch List given annually since 2004 to the nation’s best shortstop.
- McLaughlin also earned a nod on the CoSIDA Academic All-District Team.
- Freshman second baseman James Cosentino earned his second Big 12 Newcomer of the Week honor after driving in a Big 12-best nine RBIs and touching home nine times during five games last week.
- Sophomore centerfielder Rudy Karre set a new Kansas record for hit-by-pitches in a season as he has been plunked 25 times.