RCW: Inside Cross Country 3.9
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
With Sharon Lokedi’s 10th-place finish at the 2016 Pre-National Invitational, she has now placed in the top-10 in six of the seven races she has competed in as a Jayhawk.
- Saturday, Oct. 15, the Kansas cross country teams competed in their third meet of the season at the Pre-National Invitational in Terre Haute, Indiana. The meet was held at the same venue that will host the NCAA Championships on Nov. 19. ).
- Out of 81 teams, the Jayhawk women placed 13th overall (492 points) and the men’s team placed 21st (599 points). ).
- The competition included 11 of the nation’s top-25 teams on the men’s side and 10 top-30 teams on the women’s side. ).
- For the second year in a row at the Pre-National Invitational, sophomore All-American Sharon Lokedi placed in the top-10. She clocked in with a 6K time of 20:26.3. ).
- Junior Chris Melgares was the first Jayhawk on the men’s team to cross the finish line, placing 63rd with an 8K time of 25:00.4. ).
- After battling injuries the past two years, senior Hannah Richardson competed in the Pre-National Invitational for the first time since 2013. She placed 58th with a time of 21:05.5. ).
- Senior Courtney Coppinger and freshman Avery Hale were the first two KU runners to complete the women’s and men’s open races. Coppinger finished with a 6K time of 22:26.9, good enough for 12th-place overall. Hale completed his 8K in 26:53.9 and placed 25th. ).
- Both teams will now prepare for the Big 12 Championship on Saturday, Oct. 29 in Lubbock, Texas. The women’s 6K race will start at 10 a.m. (CT) with the men beginning their 8K race at 11 a.m. (CT).