RCW: Inside Men's Basketball 3.19
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
Kansas moved up to No. 1 in the USA Today Coaches’ Poll on Jan. 16. The Jayhawks have been ranked No. 1 in the coaches’ poll 57 times, with 26 of those occurrences in the Bill Self era.
Notes QUICK HITS
- Kansas is 17-1 overall and 6-0 in Big 12 play in 2016-17. The Jayhawks are the only undefeated conference team. Their 17-straight wins are tied for the longest active streak in the nation with Gonzaga.
- Senior G Frank Mason III has led Kansas in scoring each of the last four games and 14 times this season. A national player-of-the-year candidate, Mason leads the Big 12 with a 20.3 scoring average. He has nine games of 20 or more points this season, including two 30-point efforts.
- Mason is three points from becoming the 21st Jayhawk to reach 1,500 career points. Mason has 1,497 career points and passed Bud Stallworth in his last contest. Stallworth scored 1,495 points during his Kansas career (1970-72).
- Freshman G Josh Jackson was named co-Big 12 Newcomer of the Week on Jan. 16. It marked the fourth time Jackson has earned the accolade which ties Tyshawn Taylor in 2009-10 for the most Big 12 Newcomer of the Week honors in one season.
- Senior C Landen Lucas leads the Big 12 in rebounding in league games with an 11.0 average. Lucas has pulled down 10 or more rebounds in five games this season, four in league contests.