RCW: Inside Men's Basketball 3.22
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
Under Bill Self, Kansas has not experienced a regular-season conference sweep by a Big 12 opponent. In 86 regular-season Big 12 home-and-home series during the Self era, Kansas has 59 sweeps and 27 splits.
Notes QUICK HITS
- Senior Frank Mason III became the 14th player in KU history to score 1,600 career points in KU’s game against Iowa State (2/4). Mason currently ranks 14th with 1,622 points.
- Mason is vying to become the first player in KU and Big 12 history to average at least 20 points and five assists per game. Mason is averaging 20.4 points and 5.1 assists through 24 games.
- Freshman Josh Jackson has made multiple 3-pointers in five of his last six games and six games total this season.
- Jackson is the only freshman in the Big 12 to rank in the top eight in both scoring (sixth at 16.0 ppg) and rebounding (eighth at 6.8 rpg).
- Kansas averages 83.6 points per game this season which is the highest scoring average in the Bill Self era.
- KU’s 8.8 3-point field goals made per game in 2016-17 would be the highest average in KU history, surpassing the 8.0 made in 2015-16.
- Kansas is ranked No. 3 in both the Associated Press and USA Today Coaches’ polls released Feb. 6. Historically, Kansas has been ranked 155-consecutive weeks in the AP poll and 159 in the coaches’ poll. Both are the longest active streaks in NCAA Division I.