RCW: Inside Rowing 3.35
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
A program-record 22 Jayhawks were named to the Academic All-Big 12 Team this season, including four with a 4.0 grade-point average.
Notes QUICK HITS
- Kansas concluded the season with a fourth-place finish at the Big 12 Championship regatta on May 14. The Jayhawks advanced all five of their boats to the Grand Finals of the event, held at Melton Hill Lake in Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
- Junior First Varsity Eight rower Kaelyn Thierolf was named to the All-Big 12 Team for the second-straight season.
- At the annual team awards banquet on May 15, senior Mallory Miller was named the Nikia Rosenberger Coxswain of the Year and senior Jordan Helms was crowned the Oarswoman of the Year.
- Despite KU graduating 15 seniors, the future of the program is in good hands. Most Improved Oarswoman junior Valerie Swisher was given the Most Improved Oarswoman and the “Essence of a Jayhawk” Award by the senior class for her exemplary leadership and team-first enthusiasm. The Most Improved Freshman went to Great Bend native Morgan Kottas, and the Outstanding Freshman went to Virginia native Reese Arnold.
- The exclusive list of Jayhawks with a cumulative grade-point average of 3.7 or above were honored with the Team Academic Award awards banquet as well. Honorees included: junior Margaret Hornick, redshirt sophomore Meghan Karoly, redshirt sophomore Kelly Koenigsman, senior Lexie Lanphere, redshirt junior Olivia Loney, senior Mallory Miller and junior Kaelyn Thierolf.
- KU’s First Varsity Eight ended the season with back-to-back Big 12 Boat of the Week honors for first-place finishes at the Mason Invite (April 23) and the Dillons Sunflower Showdown against K-State (April 28).