RCW: Inside Swimming & Diving 3.12
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
Freshman Jenny Nusbaum has continued the momentum she built at the Olympic Trials last summer by opening her collegiate career with a 3-0 record in the 200-yard freestyle, including a win against Nebraska over the weekend.
UPCOMING HOME MEETS
(at Capital Federal Natatorium in Topeka, Kan.)
- USA Swimming scored the NCAA Division I top-16 this week and Kansas is tied for 35th with Kentucky.
- Libby Walker has swam faster each time she takes the pool in the 1000-yard freestyle, running up three wins in three tries, including a season-best 10:12 against Nebraska. She’s dropped more than eight seconds from her season-opening swim and ranks among the top 100 in the country at this point of the season.
- Taylor Sieperda was the runner-up in the 50-yard freestyle against the Huskers, turning in the top time by a Jayhawk in three duals at 24.01.
- Although the result on the scoreboard wasn’t what the Jayhawks had hoped for, Kansas saw 18 swimmers achieve season-best times at Nebraska, continuing the squad’s steady progression early in the season.
- The Jayhawks will enter the Kansas Classic with a 3-1 dual record, the same record the team had last season after its first four meets. Kansas uses the meet as a peaking point for the fall slate, resting for a week prior and racing in their faster technical suits, before working to match those top times in non-technical suits and without rest leading up to the Big 12 Championship in February.