RCW: Inside Tennis 3.36
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
The end-of-season ranking for Kansas’ doubles team of senior Tess Bernard-Feigenbaum and sophomore Nina Khmelnitckaia.
Notes QUICK HITS
- The Jayhawk duo of Bernard-Feigenbaum and Khmelnitckaia earned an at-large berth to play in the NCAA Division I Women’s Tennis Championship at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex in Athens, Georgia.
- The doubles team became the first KU pair to take part in the event since 1998, when Kylie Hunt and Christie Sim posted a 1-1 record.
- Bernard-Feigenbaum and Khmelnitckaia faced the No. 2 overall seed of Mississippi State’s Jasmine Lee and Lisa Marie Rioux.
- MSU took the first set, 6-3, and Kansas took the second set, 6-4, to force a tiebreaker. Bernard-Feigenbaum and Khmelnitckaia jumped out to a 7-2 lead and eventually won the match, 3-6, 6-4, 10-8.
- Next, the duo faced Denver’s No. 17-ranked pair of Julia O’Loughlin and Maureen Slattery in the Round of 16. Denver took the first set, 6-4, and Kansas took the lead in the second set, but the rally fell short with DU winning the match, 6-4, 6-2.
- Bernard-Feigenbaum and Khmelnitckaia ended the season with an overall record of 22-11, including a career-high win against a ranked opponent in Mississippi State’s No. 2-ranked Lee and Rioux.